ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

i need metal distortion schematics

3/2/2000 12:45 AM
math
email
i need metal distortion schematics
please if anybody know where i can get schematics for a metal distortion sound like metallica use. e-mail me please.  

3/2/2000 2:09 PM
Graywater
email

Take a thin piece of sheet metal and heat the center until it gets white hot without heating the edges - you really won't believe the metal distortion you get - automobile accidents do a great job but the distortion is harder to control.  

GW

3/2/2000 3:59 PM
j.k.
What sort of answere is this?  
Don't you have the guts to give this guy  
a decent answere?  
BTW maybe there are some other  
people who also like to know this same  
info about schematics or questions!!  
Isn't this where this bb is for??  
Jeff k.

3/2/2000 4:28 PM
Graywater
email

J.K,.  

Sorry if you took offense - logged on this morning and saw the post "i need metal distortion schematics" and my first thoughts were of warped sheet metal - I believe our friend wanted something like "schematics for amplifier modifications to produce heavy metal music style distortion." And while I realize that we all have to condense/abbreviate titles, sometimes a quick glance conjures up images other than that we hope to convey. Again, I meant no offense and was trying to evoke a chuckle, not start a rant or flame war. By the way, I'm not sure you had cause to accuse me of not having the guts to give Math a "decent" answer - you chose to accuse me rather than assisting him yourself.  

GW

3/2/2000 4:49 PM
Trace
email

quote:
"What sort of answere is this? Don't you have the guts to give this guy a decent answere?"

Graywater is a straigh up guy not to mention VERY knowledgeable. He's just goofing around is all. It's his sense of humor and he means no harm by this. He's not a "Jimmy Page" in that sense.  

quote:
"BTW maybe there are some other people who also like to know this same info about schematics or questions!!  
Isn't this where this bb is for??"

It is hard to suggest a schematic that will do what it is he is looking for because he was not very specific other than mentioning "Metallica" and "Metal Distotion."  

This would make me ask questions like "which Metallica album are you refering to tone wise?" I'm also not sure what sort of metal music he listens to. Metal has come to describe a very broad scope of bands. I've seen bands like Poison, Ozzy, Metallica, and Morbid Angel all listed under "Metal" in music stores. Now none of these bands sound a like and the guitar tones are even further alike so suggesting a schematic based on "Metal Distortion" becomes very difficult as most of us are unsure what he looking for tone wise.  

If I had to wager a bet I would suggest a Mesa Dual Rectifier schematic since Metallica uses them live right now. Aside from that I really don't know what else to suggest as I am unsure of what tone he seeks.  

Trace

3/2/2000 5:12 PM
Rebel420
email

Good point trace... the post was Vague... BUT a good starting ground, would be maybe to build the Soldano preamp off of the Blueguitar page, sicne IIRC a LOT of the bighair bands used soldano's... and if ya put a graphic eq in the loop, i'm sure you could get some really grossly scooped mid metal tones...

3/2/2000 2:26 PM
Jim
email

Posting the question 1 time on the board is sufficient to get a response. Posting it in multiple forums just hacks people off and you probably won't get much response.  

btw, I took time to respond to this message in another area where you also posted it.

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>