ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

translations on Aiken Amps pages

1/6/2000 1:34 PM
GFR
email
translations on Aiken Amps pages
Hey Randall,  

I've had lots of fun with the "English to Portuguese" software translations on your articles.  

It's almost as funny as the actual "professional" translations on guitar magazines and technical books :)

1/6/2000 2:57 PM
Holger Notzel
email

I've never noticed the translation feature. Just tried English/German and it is hillarious. You couldn't guess the topic. How do these translation programs work and are they all like that? Holger

1/7/2000 1:21 AM
Randall Aiken
email

Uh-oh! Are they really that bad? I figured it might be a literal word-for-word translation rather than a syntax-correcting thing, but I thought it would be pretty decent, considering they sell the software commercially.  
I am getting hits from every country in the world (including some I've never heard of), so I thought it might be good to offer the translations to help out people who don't speak English very well.  

Since I don't speak any other languages, other than a tiny smattering of French, I don't know if these translations are useful or not. Should I remove them?  

Randall Aiken

1/7/2000 1:53 AM
Les
email

remove them??? that's the best laugh i've had in YEARS!!  

1/7/2000 5:18 AM
Randall Aiken
email

Damn, LT, you're no help!!! Besides, what foreign language do you speak, anyway? :)  

RA

1/7/2000 10:15 AM
Santiago
email

Hi all,  
as an example "tube amp" is translated into spanish as  
"amplifier of the tube (pipe)" (amplificador del tubo).  

Is funnier than reading translated magazines as was ponited before  

1/7/2000 11:03 AM
GFR
email

quote:
"Is funnier than reading translated magazines as was ponited before"

Not always. We have a brazilian edition of Guitar Player (in portuguese). It has a mix of translated articles and some original articles.  

In the beginning, the translations were really awful. For example in english "light" can mean "not heavy" or can be related to luminosity. In portuguese we have two separate words : "leve" (not heavy) or "luz". I had a hard time figuring out that what they meant by "iluminated cabinet" was in fact a "light cabinet" :)  

Then after many complaints they've decided that in doubt it was better to keep some words as original (in english). In one of the first editions they translated "bar chords" as "acordes como um barra" - chords like a bar (the correct would be "acordes com pestana"). Then on a later edition they kept "bar chords", in english. On the following edition a reader that didn't understand english wrote asking what was "bar chords" - and they've answered "that's a comping technique where you play one chord for each bar of the song". Wow.  

Aside from these obvious errors, a guitar magazine is something really hard to translate. You have to know how to translate terms related to music (like in english a guitar has a "body", a "neck" and a "headstock", while in portuguese it has a "body", an "arm" and a "hand"), you have to know terms related to electronics (like "tube" is not "tubo" it's "valvula") and you have to know the erudit language used by rock stars (like "f*cking SOB") :)

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>