ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Orange w/ Fender p.t.??

12/27/1999 8:29 PM
D.Rice
email
Orange w/ Fender p.t.??
Picked up an old Orange last week in real fixer-upper condition. Everything seems to be there, except there's what appears to be a Fender p.t. (J022756) instead of whatever this thing is supposed to have. My first question is: what is the orange wire? Everything else seems to make sense (2 reds-pri, 2 green-fil, red/blu-bias, red/yellow-c.t.[?], orange-??), but the orange doesn't show up in any layouts or schems I've seen. Second, can anyone tell me if I can even use this thing with the type of rectifier already there (8 IN4005s/bridge), or will I need to go with the Fender style & adapt accordingly? Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,  
D

12/29/1999 12:56 AM
SpeedRacer
email

If the wire does not have continuity with any of the other leads, it is the internal shield. (ground it). These are often orange on pwr trannies.

12/29/1999 11:48 PM
Bird Dog
email

I would first check the red/yellow for continuity with the two red leads. Then I would run a resistance test from each red to the red/yellow. If the readings are very close, you probably can count on the red/yellow being your center tap, in which case you will need to replace your bridge rectifier with a full-wave style, as used in most vintage Fenders. I encountered this when replacing the high voltage PT in a 135 watt twin with a vintage re-issue PT to bring the voltages down.

1/3/2000 6:15 PM
D.Rice
email

Thanks for the input, guys - went with the Fender-style full wave rect. and there it was. And man, whatta beast! The printed circuit is a real pain in the ass, though. I'm tempted to go point-to-point with this thing, but reluctant to wreck any potential collector value. However, I picked this thing up with no cabinet, a faceplate that looks like it was submerged in the ocean for a year, and the aforementioned Fender tranny. Hmmm, I think I'm answering my own question here - any thoughts on preservation vs. utility here ?  
-D  

1/5/2000 3:56 AM
Bird Dog
email

Why not remove the board that's in there now, but save it. You could have someone like Hoffman build you a board that will fit in it's place, if you measure carefully, so that you can use the same standoffs and not drill. Are the pots and sockets free-standing? If so, you could probably put in whatever cicuit you wished and still be able to replace the stock board in the future, if desired. I don't know where you are going to find an Orange Cabinet laying around, though!

Page 1 of 1