ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: addendum

:
12/21/1999 7:40 PM
GFR
Re: addendum
OK, it's the Small Tweed #2 based on a 1960 Champ. This should be SE.  

A tube direct box is not necessarilly SE. You can build a tube direct box with ballanced circuitry (differential pairs) and this would clip symmetrically.  

I guess that another model in which the assimetry should be fairly obvious is the Soldano X88 (Modern High Gain from the front panel). It's a preamplifier (no power section) and it's designed to emphasize the even harmonics.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

12/21/1999 7:41 PM
GFR

Ah, and the Fuzz Face should be very assimetric.

12/21/1999 8:42 PM
SteveF
The waveforms on the Soldano and Fuzz Face are both  
so crazy it's hard to tell for sure, but they each  
appear to be symmetrical to my eye.  

12/21/1999 11:05 PM
John Kos

Guys,  
I will be picking up a POD next week. I will do some quantitative analysis and write up something with waveform and spectrum plots. But I don't have a web site... Would anyone like to post it? I guess I could look into the free web sites.  

Thank you,  
John Kos

12/21/1999 11:58 PM
AMZ

>>I will do some quantitative analysis and write up something with waveform and spectrum plots. But I don't have a web site... Would anyone like to post it?  

I'll be glad to post your work in my free info area if you would like.  

regards, Jack  

http://www.muzique.com/amz/

12/19/1999 2:43 PM
AMZ
POD asymmetry
Here's an idea for someone with a POD to try:  

If you have a TS type circuit such as my Son of Screamer, you can remove one of the diode clippers so that the signal is only half-wave clipped. This will introduce lots of even harmonics. I might even suggest only using 1 Ge diode as a clipper in the feedback loop of the first opamp.  

Drive the POD with this signal (tone control neutral), and see if it improves the amp-like sound of the POD.  

regards, Jack

<<First Page<PrevPage 8 of 8