ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

whatever lights your fire

:
12/6/1999 12:24 PM
Stephen Conner
whatever lights your fire
Yo,  

I reckon there is no ultimate tone, just your favourite tone. If that happens to be solid-state, fine. I'm currently perpetrating a hybrid design with a tube preamp, solid-state tone controls, and a tube power stage. Before that I had an amp which was all solid-state apart from 2 preamp tubes. Really I don't mind semiconductors anywhere except the overdrive stages, you just don't seem to get the dynamics and 'touch sensitivity'. But of course all that can be modelled...  

Having said that, Craig Anderton once did a hands-up test during a lecture at a music conference, which supposedly showed that most of the audience couldn't tell tube and solid-state distortion apart.  

So I guess it's whatever swangs your thang... the only sin is buying a solid-state amp when you know you want a tube one ;)  

Steve.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

12/6/1999 12:47 PM
JD Sleep
Re: Father forgive me for I have sinned(long post)
I'm a big fan of old tube amps, I love 'em...but my gigging rig is currently 100% SS. We're playing background music most of the time anyway, and the reliable, stable (but sterile), low maintenance sound works well for me.  

Now if I'm jamming with friends, that's another story.  

JD

12/6/1999 8:21 PM
Mark Hammer

Flame?  

Hell, I think it's WONDERFUL that someone who might otherwise go after the vintage amp I have my eye on  
would be placated by a SS model in production. :-)

12/7/1999 10:53 AM
Steve A.

Bob:  

That sounds like a great price for a $999 MSRP digital amp that had a great review in the current issue of GP. I was tempted to check one out myself but the price seemed a bit steep.  

For those of you unfamiliar with the amp, it is different from the Line 6 and Johnson amps in that you don't select from 16 or 20 specific amp tones, but just dial in the sounds from the 8 basic amps types (two each for clean, crunch, drive and lead).  

So why doesn't one of the companies make a digital modeling amp with a real tube output section???  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. Now that you don't need your Classic 30 for gigging you can do something really radical to it, like the Tweed Bassman mod!

12/7/1999 4:41 PM
Brian

For those of you unfamiliar with the amp, it is different from the Line 6 and Johnson amps in that you don't select from 16 or 20 specific amp tones, but just dial in the sounds from the 8 basic amps types (two each for clean, crunch, drive and lead).  

So why doesn't one of the companies make a digital modeling amp with a real tube output section???

I guess with a modeling amp you would want as transparent amplification as possible,SS???. But a tube output section might make it feel more dynamic.  

I'm tempted to pick up one of those POD's from line 6. Anybody have one of these? Likes dislikes?  

--Brian  

12/7/1999 6:37 PM
GFR

quote:
"I'm tempted to pick up one of those POD's from line 6. Anybody have one of these? Likes dislikes?"

I'm also tempted but the POD is a little hard to find here, so I would add to these questions: what about any alternatives? More specifically how do the POD compares to the Sansamp, Award JD-10, Zoom 503, Boss VF-1, Johnson J-Station, Digitech RP-2000, Yamaha DG-1000 etc.?

12/7/1999 6:47 PM
Aron

The POD is straight-forward, has nice easy-to-use controls, has a "warm" sound and replicates the sound of a _miked recorded amp_ NOT the feel of a live tube amp right at your feet. Actually NONE of the simulators simulate a tube amp at your feet.  

The JD-10 is amazing that you can get good tone out of it and when you open it up, it's even more amazing -it's simple! It sounds good for analog.  

For the price, it's hard to beat the POD. Remember, it's good for a "recorded amp" sound, not a live replacement although I think the guitarist for the Isley Bros... uses a POD live and some guys around here use them live too.  

Aron

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 8 Next> Last Page>>