ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Wire - Any good sources?

12/1/1999 11:44 PM
Aaron V.
email
Re: Wire - Any good sources?
I hear what you're saying. I decided to bite the bullet and got a bunch of 100' spools. So while I almost cried when paying for it, I won't be buying wire for a long time :)  

I was wondering what people here use for shielded wire. Does co-ax work? Can you tell a difference between a braided shield and a foil sheild? (meaning does the extra 4% coverage help?).  

Thanks  

Aaron

12/1/1999 11:58 PM
Dave Stork
email

All shielded wire is coax. Are you thinking specifically of 50 or 75 coax as used for RF work? That would be awfully bulky, unless perhaps you used RG-174.  

I use foil-shielded balanced pair wire. I have a bunch of nice Gepco wire left over from when I was a radio engineer. If I'm using it for an unbalanced connection, I just connect one wire of the pair to the shield. Belden, Gotham and other companies also make good shielded audio cable.

12/2/1999 1:02 AM
Carlo
email

For shielded I use Belden RG-174. Mouser has it at $27.50 for 100'. For solid I use Carol 20AWG hookup wire (rated at 600v). I got it from Digi-Key for under $8 per 100', but I think the price has gone up to about $10/100'.  

Carlo

12/2/1999 6:50 PM
Tracy
email

Carlo  
is this 20awg carol solid core wire tin plated or bare copper. I have been wanting to find tin plated solid core 20 ga with hear resistant pvc insulation.  
thanks Tracy

12/3/1999 2:30 AM
Carlo
email

Hi Tracy, Yes the Carol wire is tinned, but I noticed that Digi-Key is now listing the same part # as BICCGeneral hook-up wire. I'm guessing it's the same wire. The part # is C2118. All the specs are the same, but there's no mention of whether it's tinned or not. Here's the phone #:  
1-800-344-4539. http://www.digikey.com  
It's listed on p.473 of the Oct-Dec 99 catalog.  

Carlo

12/2/1999 7:04 PM
Tracy
email

As for shielded internal lead dress cable. I've been using surplus RCA cables bought on sale at MCM electronics and Parts Express. Can get in 25', 50'lengths. Cut off the plugs and split them apart and you have twice the length. Buy a couple pieces when ordering from different suppliers to find what you like and then stock up. All the wire I bought was 1/8" total diameter and easy to work with.  

Tracy  

12/3/1999 3:03 AM
Elwood
email

Do you guys have a source for some 20 guage stranded cable with good heat resistant insulation, but not too stiff. I'm about to run out of some similar cable from some surplus joint & would like to find a new source for some flexible but nonmelting insulated cable. Anyone?  
I also have a Simpson Handiscope model 466 that I'm not about to undress. I don't use it, but it still works.  

Thanks,  
Ed

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 5 Next> Last Page>>