ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

BBS Weirdness...

:
10/9/1999 3:31 AM
Bruce
BBS Weirdness...
Is it just me or does the BBS seem fantasticly BUTT SLOW to load or refresh since switching to Ted's place?  
Also, does it not seem like posting or replying to a message takes forever and frequently it will send the reply twice?  

Bruce

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

10/9/1999 3:41 AM
dave r.

I'm having no problems, Bruce.  

Dave R.  

10/9/1999 3:47 AM
Tim C.

Mine is very slow!!!!!!  

Tim C.

10/9/1999 4:13 AM
Steve A.

Well at least we are able to log on and not get all of those error messages... BTW you can click on the scroll bars by the clock to see how many people are currently visiting the site... (I believe that includes other areas besides the forums.) The more people visiting the server, the slower things go, I believe. FWIW at the old server I hardly ever remember seeing more than 7 people on the site at one time (I think that once that number was exceeded it would get so slow that practically everybody would surf away to another site figuring that they'd just come back later when it was running faster. Or maybe the 8th visitor would be notified that the site was not responding and to try again later.)  

Hopefully at his new home here, tboy will be free to experiment around a bit, and maybe add back more of the features from the "pre-Holocaust" BBS. The option to NOT refresh the screen after submitting a post was very useful to many of us as we wouldn't have to wait for the whole page or frame to reload after each post. I believe that search functions for the current forums would cut down the traffic a bit as we could cruise right to a thread that we had been participating in to check for answers, etc.  

Well, although AMPAGE may be slow sometimes, I'd have to say that it is certainly worth the wait, and tboy is adding back features one at a time... 3 cheers for tboy!  

Steve Ahola

10/9/1999 4:27 AM
Bruce

quote:
"BTW you can click on the scroll bars by the clock to see how many people are currently visiting the site... (I believe that includes other areas besides the forums.)"

Where do you see that Steve?  
Is this something that AOL's browser is ignoring?  
I wonder if the terrible response time is another AOL glitch?  

Bruce

10/9/1999 5:16 AM
Steve A.

Bruce:  

With Netscape, the bottom bar starts with "Open Forum" on the left and has the clock on the right. Actually if I drag up the border for the bottom window/task bar the scroll bars disappear and the number of visitors is displayed beneath the time (GMT, I assume since this is the *World* Wide Web- right?) At this it reads 5:15AM with a "12" below the time.  

Steve Ahola

10/9/1999 5:29 AM
Carlo

I have the number of people displayed in the bottom right corner, just below the clock, (next to the exit sign).  

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>