ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Mystic Blue, Electroplex, K&M, Dumble Amps

:
10/6/1999 7:00 AM
Gregg
Mystic Blue, Electroplex, K&M, Dumble Amps
Assuming that all Dumble's sound unique and individual, do any Amps currently available come close to capturing the Mojo? Any opinions on Mystic Blues, Electroplex, K&M or others?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

10/7/1999 1:53 PM
Steve Snider

Gregg, I have a K&M head and although they are damn expensive, they get really close to the best Dumbles. At 1/3rd the price of a Dumble they seem worth the money for those seeking the Dumble type tones. There should be some posting after an amp shootout that takes place over the weekend. I don't have the experience with the others you mentioned.

10/7/1999 8:43 PM
Gil Ayan

Gregg,  

If you're interested in the Mystic Blues, you can go to the following link:  

http://www03.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/wa2/wmorgan/  

and read about the Dumble/Mystic shootout.  

The guy who owns the Mystic Blues also happens to own an Electroplex Rocket 35. After I tried one at the 1998 NAMM and reported on it (I did write a review of a Dumble and talked about the Rocket there):  

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Dumble/Overdrive_Special-01.html  

Bill -- the Mystic owner -- ordered one, and he liked it a lot. He agrees that at lower volumes, the Rocket 30 (or is it 35?) nails the Carlton/Dumble/Strat w/EMGs sound.  

To me, that is really the most harmonically rich amp I have ever played... Turn it up loud and you start losing headroom real quick, a shame for some (myself included).  

Gil

10/8/1999 12:22 AM
Steve A.

Gil:  

Was the Dumble ODS you reviewed at H-C the same one you had mentioned here- with it sounding drastically different when you went back later? Or a different amp altogether?  

As for the review of the Mystic Blues do you think that the Boost that Bill mentions is similar to the tone stack defeat switch you had recommended for the Dumbles, or something else altogether?  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. So Henry Kaiser bought his ODS for $1000 back in 1980? Such a deal! And are you still using EMG's a lot these days?

10/8/1999 8:06 PM
Gil Ayan

quote:
"Gil:  

Was the Dumble ODS you reviewed at H-C the same one you had mentioned here- with it sounding drastically different when you went back later? Or a different amp altogether?  
"

That's the one.  

quote:
" As for the review of the Mystic Blues do you think that the Boost that Bill mentions is similar to the tone stack defeat switch you had recommended for the Dumbles, or something else altogether?"

I'm not sure, but I believe Bill mentioned that the boost in that amp still allows for the tone controls to have some effect, so I would guess it is something different -- and who knows, maybe Dumble himself had a different preamp boost in some amps.  

quote:
"P.S. So Henry Kaiser bought his ODS for $1000 back in 1980? Such a deal!"

Worst of all, the name Kaiser = $$ so he cou;d have paid a lot more. :) Good for him though!  

quote:
" And are you still using EMG's a lot these days?  
"

No, I am back to 2 singles (Sotck) and a Di MArzio in the back.  

Gil

10/9/1999 1:30 AM
Steve A.

Gil:  

I believe that Henry Kaiser is the "experimental" guitarist who has been around for at least 25 years. (I think he used to play solo in the coffeehouses around Berkeley with just his guitar, his amp... and 27 echoplexes < g >) I think he put out an album or two with David Lindley, too. I must admit I've never listened to his music but it has been regarded favorably by many people.  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. At work, we put in the heat pump for Edgar Kaiser's widow so next time I see her maybe I'll ask her if Henry Kaiser the guitarist is a relative...

10/8/1999 7:43 AM
anonymous
That would be me. The Rocket 35 is probably the sweetest sounding amp I've ever played through. And it does that at low volume, something I've never been able to do with any other amp. But as Gil said, it does lack headroom so it's only good for low volume stuff, recording, practicing, etc.  

The Mystic Blues would have been my second choice (after a Dumble) for "that" sound, at least until I built my own clone. The Mystic is a good sounding amp though, if a bit on the Marshall side. It's also only 50 watts, which is one reason I finally built my own amp.  

Bill  

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>