ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Notes on a 1997 Dumble OD 100

:
9/10/1999 8:12 PM
Gil Ayan
Re: Notes on a 1997 Dumble OD 100
quote:
"For what it's worth, the transformers are Pacific Transformers.  

I've opened a couple at my shop myself and this 1052 transformer is not a regular thing!  

Go figure.  

Bruce"

Bruce, I think it's already been wide spread all over the net. The TF-1XX 1052 that Dumble uses can be had from Magic Parts. Then, the 12.6VAC transformer for the relays is from Radio Shack, so clearly iron is NOT where the Dumble magic (if any) lies!  

Gil

9/11/1999 3:34 AM
Bruce

Gil, Last week I was shopping for some PT and OT iron for a new EL84 amp project and ran into the guy who winds a very well know boutique amp company's iron who's big claim to fame was handwound paper interleaved transformers and all had laid boards...NO PCBs... it cracked me up when I then found out everyone else he's winding for and how all those amp compamies are claiming it's their own custom handwound special woof woof transformers! Big deal sales hype.  

I think the best buy in guitar amp transformers are still the Magic Parts/Pacific iron or the TMI transformers.  

New Sensor has stopped using Thordarson and is getting Schumacker to wind them all now.  

As for the magic...  

I still think it's mostly the hard work after the amp is up and running and tweaking them by ear... one at a time.  

Bruce  

9/11/1999 3:39 AM
Gil Ayan

quote:
"Gil, Last week I was shopping for some PT and OT iron for a new EL84 amp project and ran into the guy who winds a very well know boutique amp company's iron who's big claim to fame was handwound paper interleaved transformers and all had laid boards...NO PCBs... it cracked me up when I then found out everyone else he's winding for and how all those amp compamies are claiming it's their own custom handwound special woof woof transformers! Big deal sales hype.  

I think the best buy in guitar amp transformers are still the Magic Parts/Pacific iron or the TMI transformers.  

New Sensor has stopped using Thordarson and is getting Schumacker to wind them all now.  

As for the magic...  

I still think it's mostly the hard work after the amp is up and running and tweaking them by ear... one at a time.  

Bruce"

Agreed 100%, Bruce. THe only negative thing about the Magic parts trannies is that they do not make vertical mount mains transformers... and I don't have any cutouts in my chassis. For my first amp, I am using a Hoffman, and while there is nothing wrong with them, they cost quite a bit more than the MP stuff. Of course, there is New Sensor too, but I have no reference about their vertical mount Marshall mains replacements. They are cheaper than Hoffman's, though.  

Gil  

9/4/1999 7:36 AM
BWilliamson

Thanks Steve and Anon. Some good stuff to try and digest.  

quote:
"(BTW, the 93 ohm FB resistor on the 100w bass amp posted at Boxer Amps is wrong!"

Don't shoot the messenger!!  

bw

9/5/1999 9:50 PM
K. Gurley

Hi Steve,  

Will you be incorporating this info into a schematic? Your schematics are really clear. What package do you use to create them?  

Thanks,  

KG

9/6/1999 1:59 AM
Steve A.

K.  

I've been using TurboCAD 3.0 for drawing up schematics (although sometimes I just "cut'n'paste" an existing schematic using a more powerful alternative to MS Paint- like the EVH 5150 schematics I redrew).  

As for the Dumble stuff... those notes from an 1997 OD100 don't necessarily apply to the mid-70's models posted on my site. But there are plenty of ideas in there for DIY-ers to try out...  

Steve Ahola

9/12/1999 12:16 PM
BWilliamson

After really reading it last night at work, I would be interested in knowing what other things were available on the able. All the knobs and switches, bass boost? Jazz? etc... Might help to compare to the one we have.  

some interestesting things in there I'm thinking of trying.  

bw  

ps. He mentioned the EL-34's being rare, I seem to remember looking around and seeing alot of EL-34's mentioned. I always thought the 6l6 was the old design.  

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 5 Next> Last Page>>