ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Mitchell Amplifiers

:
8/30/1999 10:37 PM
Jim C
Mitchell Amplifiers
Does anyone here have any knowledge/information on Mitchell Amplifiers? Here's what I know. A guy in Riverside CA by the name of Mitchell ran a music store in the 70's. He made a line of Marshall style 4X12 speaker cabs and later on amp heads. His scale of operation was very limited and would be considered "boutique" (sp.) by today's standards. The reason I am asking is that I just saw one of his combo amps for sale and I have never heard these amps. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -Jim

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

8/30/1999 10:55 PM
Ed

Jim  

I had a friend that had a model for sale, which had a 12ax7 preamp stage and a solid state power section. I also saw a model that looked very close to a mark 1 mesa boogie cloan with 4- 6l6's I believe 5- 12ax7's 2 gains and a master vol. treble, middle, and bass maybe a presence cont.  

thats all I really know about for what it may or may not be worth. Ed

8/30/1999 11:01 PM
Tim C.

Jim C.,  

I believe you are referring to Tom Mitchell. He was considered a top notch technician in the Los Angeles area.  

I don't know if he still does tech work but he did produce an amplifier repair reference book a few years ago. It came with a video as well if you ordered the complete package.His biography on the back of the book states that somw of his clients were REO Speedwagon, Dokken, Aerosmith and others. Mitchell was partial to Marshall style amplifiers so I would guess that the combo you refer to would lean toward that genre. I would take a second look at it. Let us know what you decided an how it sounded!  

Tim C.

8/31/1999 12:21 AM
Mike Ramirez

Jim,  

I have a Mitchell Pro 100 which is a Boogi Mark I clone. I bought it because at the time I could'nt afford a Boogi. It sounded ok but I had it modded because I could not get a good clean sound when the lead channel was set just right. The mod ended up sounding worse so I ended up modding it myself into a Mark II. Clean sounds great but overdrive sounds terrible. As far as the amp itself, It uses pc boards and the workmanship was rather messy. Its putting out about 525 volts so I only use NOS 6l6 tubes with it. I am about ready to wire it up back to a Mark I and probably sell it.  

To sum it up, It sounded almost as good as a Boogi but not quite as far as I remember (It's been 15 years since it has been stock).  

Mike

8/31/1999 3:04 AM
SpeedRacer

I had a Mitchell Pro 100 here that a client gave me.. No one in NY could fix it for him, and after seeing what a mess inside it was, I refused. It would have taken way more time than the amp was worth.. The ones I heard that were intact sounded pretty lame. The story I heard was that Mitchell got sued out of existance by MB, which is not a big surprise as they have the patent on using electrons to do work last I heard. Actually, the Mitchell copped a lot of the look (natural wood finish with a cane grill..) and tried to get the tone, (12" EV, OD channels etc).  

Build quality was POOR. I sure hope this amp had nothing to do with Tom Mitchell (whose books I find informative)  

The one good part of the whole amp IMO is the EQ, which is actually an MXR EQ pedal taken out of its box! The 9V battery leads are still running off it to a rectified version of the fil supply.. (close enough to 9V I guess) Channel switching was by an A/B box. I sold what was left of the thing at a Hamfest for parts.

8/31/1999 4:37 PM
Bryan Prud'Homme

A few years ago I met the Tom Mitchell who wrote the amp tech primer. He said he was not the same Tom Mitchell who made the Mitchell amps. His chronology is a little late to be the same Tom Mitchell, so I believed him.  

I also have a Mitchell Pro 100, jees, what an unfortunate use of resources! I got it in a trade that involved something else I actually wanted. I always thought I would use the Mitchell for it's chassis, but have not been able to get interested in it. It just plain sounds bad. Toujours en amitie, Bryan Prud'Homme

8/31/1999 7:08 PM
Charlie Escher

Right, not the same guy. I had a 30 watter in for repair last year. Not at all fun to work on. Same deal: 525 volt B+, terrible circuit board, with tube sockets butt soldered to the board, and sure to come ondone sooner or later. I very carefully soldered flying leads to the sockets, and the amp hasn't come back yet. I wouldn't pay much for one, but the transformers and chassis would be OK for a project amp. I'd ditch the board and start over, personally.

Page 1 of 1