ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

6973=6CZ5?

8/14/1999 3:59 PM
Rob
email
6973=6CZ5?
Just picked up a Harmony H430 amp, two 10" jensens  

and reasonable iron. Looks like it is worth restoring.  

The amp uses three 6973 tubes which are a bit  

pricey. I looked through the chart of a drug store  

tube testers with a bunches of test sockets, and  

found the base diagram for the 6973. I then found that  

the 6CZ5 had the same base diagram. Who says tube  

testers are worthless? I had serviced a bogen PA head  

a few years ago that used two 6CZ5 for output tubes.  

The 6CZ5 seems like a possible substitution.  

My RC-25 RCA tube manual specs suggests the two tubes are  

extremely similar but 6CZ5 is not listed as a substitute  

for the 6973. 6CZ5s can be purchase for $6 while the  

6973s are $25+. Two of the 6973 are the output tubes and the other one I am not sure about. I suspect it drives the reverb. I have not pulled the chassis and do not have a schematic handy.  

Any second opinions?

8/14/1999 8:20 PM
Graywater
email

Rob,  

Yer real close but the basing diagram isn't identical - note pin 8. So make sure that the screen grid supply is connected to pin 1 on the socket 'cuz fer all practicable purposes the only difference is the dual screen grid connections of the 6973. In fact, a couple of years ago a friend brought me an "Orpheus" amplifier that belonged to his father. He has installed new IEC 6973s and the amp just didn't work and several service shops had passed it on as "unrepairable." When I got into it I noticed that there was no screen voltage 'cuz IEC had rebranded a 6CZ5 as a 6973 but the amp used pin 8 on the socket as the screen connection - so I just moved the wire to pin 1 on each of the sockets.  

GW

8/15/1999 4:54 AM
Bruce
email

Yes, the odd 6973 is the reverb driver tube.  

I think I found the H430 schematic in my old copy of Jack Darr's amp book.  

If Steve A. will help me.... hint...I can scan a copy (with some minor mods to make it sound a little more hip) and email it to you or him.  

Even for a decent DIY'r, it's an "unusual" amp design and circuit board layout that produces some serious head scratching.  

It takes some concentration to reverse engineer it so try and get a copy of the schem.  

I just refurbed one for a customer last week and the retail price of the two 6973s was over $50.00 so, while he wasn't looking, I rewired the sockets for EL84s and they worked just fine too.  

But since I had three NOS 6973, and he wanted to keep it mostly original, I redid it and installed the 6973s.  

Dont waste too much time on this tube issue and just rewire the sockets to take a different but similar pentode tube.  

Also carefully remove the cheap cardboard box cover that houses the reverb springs and clean the RCA jacks and plugs.  

This is a source of weird reverb problems on a few of these old timers.  

Bruce  

Bruce  

8/15/1999 8:28 PM
Rob
email

Thanks to Graywater and Bruce for helpful hints. I  

had caught the grid being attached to both pins in the  

6973 but the problems it could cause had not  

occured to me. Sounds like I need a copy of the  

schematic Bruce! I will have to think long and hard  

about whether to go with the 6CZ5 or the EL84 conversion.  

Also, I just found a whole series of Univox/Unicord  

tube amp schematics from around 1970.  

Pretty standard stuff but I would be happy to  

share a set of copies with any of the folks who maintain FREE web pages with schematics for posting.  

Best,  

Rob

Page 1 of 1