ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Sub. for BC109, BC549

:
7/1/1999 3:57 PM
Ed Rembold
Re: Sub. for BC109, BC549
Thanks to All. In Calif. I can get all  

the 5088's and 5089's I want. But could  

not find BC549 to save my soul.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

7/1/1999 7:24 PM
R.G.

What we're dealing with here is Keen's Law of Substitutions, which reads "First try a 2N5088!". 8-)  

No, seriously, in any application whjere you need an NPN silicon small signal, try the 5088 first. I keep telling people that for almost any application that's NOT a Fuzz Face or similar germanium-dependent device, try a generic high gain, low noise silicon device like the 2N5088 for NPN or 2N4250 for PNP. In 97 out of 100 cases, they'll work.  

7/2/1999 11:49 AM
GFR

That's it, sorry for the typo.  

It's funny - the only 2N3904's and 2N3906's I've ever seen were in a computer board for temperature monitoring (Axxion or Advantech). Almost the only 2N's I can find on stores here are the 2N2222 and the 2N3055. On the other hand, I can easily find all the BC series, in large quantities.  

The "generic" types are the BC547 (NPN) and BC557 (PNP), the BC549/BC559 are lower noise.  

If there was a way to do it and somebody really wants some BC's I would gladly exchange some BC's for ANY fet or mosfet, since they are virtually imposible to get here.  

7/7/1999 0:53 AM
Ed Rembold

GFR,  

I know this is going to sound simple and stupid , but won't Digikey ship to where you are, their catalog is full  

of Fets and mosfets. Ed R.

7/7/1999 1:12 PM
R.G.

Ditto for Mouser. They provide international shipping info on their terms page.

7/7/1999 1:44 PM
GFR

Yes, a lot of companies offer international shipping. I've have bought some tubes and guitar parts this way. But most have a minimum order, so I can't ask for a few transistors. Besides there's the shipping costs and it will usually take around two months to get the parts unless I use the most expensive shipping options.  

But that's not only it. It may appear stupid, but I have to pay very high import taxes (that skyrocket for buys above U$50) AND a tax just because I used my credit card for international buys AND a tax just because the money left my bank account.  

All this makes the prices impractical.  

There are some of these mail-order companies that have branches here but their catalogs here are not complete, besides the prices are bad even compared to importing from the US branch of the same company.  

In the end, it's easier and cheaper to find an "alternative" importer :) and buy a commercial effect or try to find used gear where you can steal parts from. And if you're lucky enough to find difficult parts in any store just buy the whole stock. The other day I bought the whole stock of JFET's in a store. All 14. :)  

GFR

7/7/1999 3:10 PM
R.G.
>I have to pay very high import taxes (that skyrocket for  

> buys above U$50) AND a tax just because I used my credit  

> card for international buys AND a tax just because the  

> money left my bank account.  

That's not stupid, it's tragic. My sincere condolences. It's not quite that bad here - yet. Somehow all governments get the idea that all commerce belongs to them and that they're doing you a favor by letting you keep *any* of the money.

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>