ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

mods to my Deluxe reverb

:
6/16/1999 2:41 PM
nic mods to my Deluxe reverb
Okay, I love the way my tele sounds with my deluxe reverb. BUT, I hate the thin sound my strat gets through the deluxe, it sounds great through the Super. Aside from having to carry both amps around with me to get the sound are there any mods I could do to my deluxe to make it respond better to my strat? I was thinking of useing 6L6's in place of the 6V6's. Could this help? Is there a way I could have both types of tubes in there and select between output tubes???  

nic

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

6/16/1999 4:15 PM
anonymous
I don't think 6L6's are going to do it. 6L6's will give you slightly more headroom and more chime, but that's not going to make for a "thicker" guitar sound. First off, look at your strat's pickups. Is it only in certain positions: I find most strats very thin & brittle in the bridge position with most Fender amps.  

As far as modding the DR: My suggestion is to sacrifice the tremolo controls (you can always hard-wire them to give you a preset so you don't loose the tremolo all together) and add a Mid control and maybe a presence. I found both invaluable for tweaking my DR. I had a similar problem but in my case it was the strat that sounded good, and my LP sounded muddy... You can mess with the feedback resistor values (I did) but you're going to be changing the tone on your tele as well so that's probably not a wise idea....  

As far as switching tubes: NO, you cannot really do this since the DR runs a pair of 6V6's beyond spec. That means that if you bias the amp to sound good with the 6L6's, when you just plug in the 6V6's they're probably going to melt down in minutes. OTOH, if you bias the amp for the 6V6's, the 6L6's will be fine but will be biased quite cold and are probably going to sound very sterile. You'd need to rebias the amp with each tube change.  

As for having them both in there at the same time: No way at all, there isn't enough room for two more tube sockets, you'd completely ruin the resale value of the amp, and it would require major mods on top of that.  

MJ

6/16/1999 5:59 PM
SpeedRacer
I agree with MJ on some stuff, like the mid control (or at least a mid mod), but I happen to think you can get away with both sets of tubes in the amp. A pair of 6L6's will bias (at least in my DR) around 40-45V, which can be ok for many 6V6GT/GTA types. You won't be dead on with either, but should be passable with both. That said, I don't think it will get you what you want. Playing with the tone stack (change out the caps) and/or playing with the mid resistor will be more effective IMO.  

Just 2 more cents..

6/16/1999 6:54 PM
Doc

You might try disconnecting the 47pf "bright" cap across the vibrato channel's volume control. On the DR it's permanently connected. It's switchable on all the larger BF & SF amps.

6/16/1999 7:24 PM
Mark Hammer
The midrange mod simply involves substituting the 6.8k resistor going to ground from the bass control with a 10k pot. That's ALL the midrange control is, on virtually all Fender amps with a standard tone stack. If you want a little more "roundness" to your sound, you may even want to goose that 10k up to a 25k or 50k pot, although a usable taper may be hard to nail down right away.  

Some 17-18 years ago, Tboy had a brief article in Polyphony about this mod, only in his case, he advocated lifting the ground connection as a volume/lead boost and tone bypass. I installed this on an old Tremolux head and it worked very nicely, giving any old single coil all the meat and heft of a PAF when you wanted it.  

One wonders, as well, to what extent the matching of guitars and amps is more a function of the match between speakers and guitar. True, the difference between the SR and DR is more than simply wattage and 2 vs 4 speakers. But don't ignore the speakers as a vital component of what you feel is missing.  

Finally, sticking 6L6's in place of the 6V6's, without rebiasing, will get you ice-pick-through-the-forehead tone in my experience. I *like* it, but it doesn't sound like what you are looking for. Maybe you want to try sticking some different pre-amp tubes in and aiming for a different gain structure. Maybe less gain at the front end will provide sweeter tone for your Strat.

6/17/1999 2:03 PM
Trace

Hey gang;  

There are some pretty good mods here! I think the 6L6's can be biased like Speed said (he's done it) but I personally think, from what you've described, that the 6V6's are more what you are looking for.  

MARK SAID ---> The midrange mod simply involves substituting the 6.8k resistor going to ground from the bass control with a 10k pot. That's ALL the midrange control is, on virtually all Fender amps with a standard tone stack. If you want a little more "roundness" to your sound, you may even want to goose that 10k up to a 25k or 50k pot, although a usable taper may be hard to nail down right away.  

@@@ This is a great mod! I like this one ALOT! Once you've tried it it's pretty hard to live without! (ha, ha) I haven't tried TBOY's mod but I'm going to give'er a whirl as soon as I can!  

These are some things I've done to DR's and I came up with these for those people who used Strats so this may be useful to you or it may not be.  

NORMAL CHANNEL:  

1.) The 25K or 50K mid pot is a must (as Mark was refering to)  

2.) A = Unsolder the #1 & #2 input jack wires that has the 68K resistors on them and connect the resistors to the actual tubes grid pin. (I think it's less noise when it comes to playing in clubs with flouresent lights and other annomilies.)  

B = "WIDE-INPUT": Everyone seems to love this so give'er a try and see what you think ---> solder a 330pF 1kv ceramic cap across the 68K resistor on #2's jack before soldering it to the grid pin. This produces a much "wider", thicker, creamier tone. It's truly a wonderful thing!!  

3.)On the 7025...locate the 1.5K/25uF cathode resistor/cap and replace it with a 820ohm/330uF @ 25 or 50volts. This will sweeten up the lowend ALOT! Strats seem to love this to death.  

4.) I like a 250pF on the treble pot. I've seem some with it and some without it...also different values. If you don't have it on there...give it a try. Just connec tone end to the ground lug of the treble pot and ground the other end to the backside of the treble pot.  

VIBRATO CHANNEL  

1.) See 1, 2, 3, and 4 from above  

2.) locate the .047uF cap in the EQ section and change it to a .022uF. Locate the .1uF and change it to a .022uF. This does alter the classic "fender tone" but again it seems to work for those who use Strats.  

3.) Some guys like change the .001 cap in the PI to a .01 and love it. I like it but it depends on what you prefer here. Try and see what you like  

FEEDBACK RESISTOR:  

1.) I usually remove the RCA jack in the back (Virbrato pedal) and solder the wire that was connected to the jack to ground.  

2.) I wire an 820ohm resistor and a 10K resistor to a mini toggle switch. Remove the 820ohm resistor and solder two lead wires in place of it. Then connect the lead wires to the switch.  

So that's all I can really add to what's been posted. I hope this helps someone in some way, shape, or form.  

Cooofffffeeeeee!  

Trace  

6/17/1999 2:35 PM
Benjamin Fargen

Trace,  

Sounds like your keeping the guy's that play DR's happy with some fat tones! Those sound like some good mods to play around with.  

Great stuff!  

Thanks,  

Benjamin

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>