ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Here's the Story on the BBS

:
6/12/1999 1:30 AM
Joe Fuzz
Here's the Story on the BBS
I copied this from Wednesday night's chat room archives. Hope this explains things a little:  

[ Wed 23:51:34 ] tboy: Well, the move is going OK, but the BBS is broke (unrelated to the move) and I'm in sort of a  

quandary over what to do about it.  

[ Wed 23:52:08 ] CH: tboy: restore from backup :)  

[ Wed 23:52:11 ] LT: bummer... hope you can get it fixed...  

[ Wed 23:52:36 ] LT: uhhh... you DO have a backup dontcha tboy???  

[ Wed 23:53:45 ] tboy: No data has been lost; it's all still there, but apparently the BBS script is not behaving well and causing problems for my ISP.  

[ Wed 23:54:46 ] CH: tboy: Oh? What sort of problems? coredumps?  

[ Wed 23:57:07 ] tboy: They tell me it doesn't exit properly sometimes and thus leaves 70-80 copies of itself running and chewing up server resources. There have been core dumps from time to time.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

6/12/1999 3:02 AM
Steve Ahola

Joe:  

From what you can tell has AMPAGE moved to a different server? And the BBS script is not working properly with the software on the new server?  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. Bruce Collins heard from tboy the other day, and he mentioned that a serious software conflict was causing problems with the server:  

"evidently all the folks that were having the script exit problem were leaving numerous copies running thus locking up the server ISP and or somehow using up all the resources over there..." from Bruce's e-mail.  

I'm sure that tboy will let us know what is going on as soon as he tracks down the conflict, but that might take days or weeks so it's probably best not to get our hopes up. As most of you have probably noticed, his BBS software has really pushed the envelope for what can be done with an on-line BBS and what worked fairly well on the old server is evidently creating problems with the new server. We all hope that tboy can work out those problems so that his customized BBS software can be used here again (rather than having to start over from scratch).

6/12/1999 4:31 AM
Joe Fuzz

Hey, Steve. Good to hear from you! :-)  

>From what you can tell has AMPAGE moved to a different  

>server? And the BBS script is not working  

>properly with the software on the new server?  

>"evidently all the folks that were having the script exit  

>problem were leaving numerous copies running thus  

>locking up the server ISP and or somehow using up all the  

>resources **over there**..." from Bruce's e-mail.  

>his BBS software has really pushed the envelope for what  

>can be done with an on-line BBS  

It appears that his software is much more complicated than we might have thought. tboy makes it look effortless but apparently he is using a 3rd party database which may be the source of the problems. Also, (I'm just taking an educated guess here, but) it seems like part of the BBS isn't on Ampage or Firebottle at all. I seem to remember the browser accessing a separate site to call up messages. That's why I highlighted the words "over there" in your post above.  

IMHO, the frames version is *clearly* the best BBS format I've seen. I hope he can get it back up and running.

6/14/1999 4:14 PM
Chris Hurley (AX84)

It really is the best out there. I've done a bit of looking in the last few months everything else is crap by comparison. Most folks are running the wwwboard that just seems to dump a big list of messages in a window.  

TBoy could probably sell this software and make a killing. It towers above competing software.  

6/16/1999 2:11 PM
J Epstein

Whenever the subject of BBS's comes up I *always* steer people over here for a look at how it should be done. In an email exchange at least a year ago, tboy said that he was using as a base, a commercial product, which he had EXTENSIVELY improved (obviously!)  

Let's hope the script troubles can be resolved : I have been surprised that tboy's improvements haven't been licensed (or swiped) by others already, maybe he could get some backing to get this stuff back on line?  

-j

Page 1 of 1