ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Build a multimeter?

:
4/20/2000 7:46 AM
Jeff S.
Build a multimeter?
This may be a rediculous idea, but does anybody know anything about building a multimeter? I have a $10 radio shack deal, but it is way too limited. I've been looking into getting a new one, but all the one's that i've seen that have the features that i want are so damn expensive. I'd like: resistance up to at least 10MOhm, AC and DC voltage up to at least 1000V, AC and DC current up to at least 10A, capacitance, inductance, transistor test (hFE, VCE, base cuurent), diode test, and frequency. If building such a machine would be beyond reason, does anybody know of an appropriate meter for less than $50-$60? Since I doubt that I can get what I want for less than $150, I would really like to get my hands on a schematic, but again, I don't even know if building it would be feasable. Any help would be great. Thanks.  

Jeff

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/20/2000 9:58 AM
aron

The multimeter I have has almost all your wishes.  

Every now and then it goes on sale for $70. Almost as low as you want and man is it great!  

It has frequency too.  

------------------------------------------  

I checked all over the place and the best one I found for a mid-priced one is the Radio Shack True RMS Digital Multimeter. At $99 it's great ($15 off if you join Sprint :-))  

It has True RMS, Capacitance, hFE (transistor gain), auto pinout identification for transistors, slots for testing resistors and capacitors and diodes (don't have to use leads), temperature and best of all, it's auto-ranging!  

The catalog number is: 22-174B.

4/20/2000 10:15 AM
Jeff S.

Thanks Aron I appreciate your help.  
BTW, are you Aron Nelson?

4/20/2000 1:53 PM
Max

Hi Jeff!  

Why don't you build a valve one?LOL.  

Best regards.  

Max.

4/20/2000 4:58 PM
Jeff S.

How's it going Max?  

I sense a wee bit of sarcism from you. Oh well, I guess I should have saw that coming--ask a stupid question, get stupid answer :)!  

Instead of going valve what about this: since the energy of a wave is related to it's frequency, to measure frequency I'll bounce the signal off the moon and measure the stregnth of the returning signal; a similar approach could be used for voltage measurements--maybe I'll use satallites instead of the moon. Just Kidding :)  

Take it easy Max.  

Jeff

4/20/2000 9:17 PM
Max

Hi Jeff!  

No sarcasm,just taking the mick.I think that,it would be cheaper to buy,than build a DMM.Try conrad.FR  
Best regards.  

Max.

4/20/2000 6:00 PM
aron

hmmmm.... yes, I am Aron Nelson - one wonders about that question.... :-)

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>