ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Hickok Model 533

:
4/19/2000 10:48 PM
Jethro Tull Bodine
Hickok Model 533
...Boy Howdy!..I picked one of these testers up. If anyone of y'all have any handy tips, hints, etc...about the use and all of this beastie...I would like to hear from ya!! thanx in advance..  
Jethro

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/19/2000 11:33 PM
Matt

It's a piece of cake. Did you get a tube chart with it? The 533 tube testers are great examples of Hickoks.  

To test, just don't insert the tube until all the settings are made on the tester, especially filament volts! Also, you don't need the shunt setting if you're going to use the µMho ranges. If you want to use the "english" good/bad scale, you use shunt, but I prefer the direct Gm reading.  

The tester has two internal tubes, a 5Y3 and an 83 mercury vapor rectifier-yes the cloudy gray color inside it is normal. The 83, should it ever need to be, can be replaced with diodes, but should ideally be replaced with an 83. The 83 should last almost forever in those and would usually break before wearing out, I reckon.  

When you're testing a bunch of tubes, it's best to sort 'em out and test all of a given type at once so you don't have to switch too much. Also, you can save an enormous amount of time testing a bunch of dual tubes like 12AX7 by measuring all of the tubes on triode one, then switching settings to triode two and testing that side of each tube. There are different settings for each triode.  

Cheers,  
Matt

4/20/2000 2:31 AM
Jethro Tull Bodine

Thanx Matt!!! yes a tube chart came with it circa 1959!!! Boy howdy!!.basically everything is self explanitory..save for that "english" knob..so in effect I wouldn't depress the Gm button ...Ok I think I got it!! oh explain that "line control" knob...attatched to a rheostat.. I dang near fell over when I saw it.(the tester)..so many thanx again for your help..I may have a few more Q's after I fiddle with it a bit!!  
Jethro

4/20/2000 2:38 AM
Matt

Tube testers are a blast imo. The line adjust is used to set the element supply voltages to correct levels depending on different available line voltages and the load the tube under test creates. Basicall start with the line adjust fully counter clockwise, then set all the pins, etc, insert tube, let it warm for around 15 seconds, adjust line to line test mark on meter, then perform Gm test until a good solid reading is taken.  

With the help of a tube tester guru on rec.audio.tubes(Alan Douglas), I've found that even when using the line adjust, readings can vary by up to 15% depending on the position of the rheostat. Therefore, always set my tester's line control fully clockwise(never plug it into the wall like this-the fuse will blow!), and plug the tester into a variac and adjust the line from there so the line test lines up on the tester. That way, I'm not using a resistive means to adjust the supplies and I get reliable, repeatable readings.  

Matt

4/20/2000 2:59 AM
Jethro Tull Bodine

Thanx yet again!! Whotta place..AMPAGE!!  
Ok me thinks I've got it.. oh yeah...got the compactron tester adaptor too!! heh..need a more recent chart...any ideas on where to obtain them?  
Thanx  
Jethro

4/20/2000 5:21 PM
Matt

I have a mostly tube tester related site at http://www.jps.net/matt7591. Check my links and there's a that Harry Straub put together which I believe has a tube chart for that tester. Otherwise, you could check with agtannenbaum.com or vacuumtubes.com. Do you have the compactron adapter or do you need one? I think Dan Nelson makes 'em and I believe his email is still djn@goodnet.net. Check deja.com for TUBE TESTER DAN NELSON if not.  

Cheers,  

Matt

4/20/2000 7:07 PM
Rebel420

What I've done with my tester (forget the brand name now... just got it a few weeks ago), was put the settings for the common tubes i'll use, such as 6v6, 6l6, el84, el34, 12 ay7, 12ay7 etc on a piece of note card, that way i'm not constantly running the built in scroll or sorting thru tons of tube types when 99% of the tme i'll need one of the dozen or so basic types all the time.... just a little techtip for those with testers

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>