ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

'57 Les Paul Junior

4/15/2000 7:08 AM
Kevin
email
'57 Les Paul Junior
I have a chance to pick up a '57 Junior in excellent shape except for the original frets which would have to go. I realize it's not as flexible as a Special but the tone is there and neck feels great. What should I expect to pay for a guitar like this? Any Junior players out there? Thanks, Kevin.

5/4/2000 11:26 PM
scott
email

go for it!  
get it while you can, these guitars are going fast, expect to pay about 1800 to 2000 dollars for it, and you should pay it those giutars are worth every cent, great investment, the frets dont matter at all, but take a look inside check the solder joints make shure they look old as dirt. guys love buying those guitars and taking the pickup out. also another dirty trick is respraying with a fresh coat of laquer to make the guitar look like its in great shape. this is what kills the value on old jr's and any other vintage piece. they way to tell if the guitar was over sprayed is by smell and also the logo on the headstock should be on top of the finish. these logos were silks creened on. the logo is very fragile as touching it will wipe it off im talking about the word  
"les paul" that goes up the center of the headstock. well good luck.

5/7/2000 9:02 PM
Kevin
email

Scott, thanks for the advice. A friend/customer has been holding this one for me and I've been using it to check his amps before they go on my bench. I think I'll make the deal next week. Thanks again, Kevin.

5/8/2000 10:41 PM
scott
email

good news kev, let me know how it goes, how much you pay for and so on

5/9/2000 5:31 AM
Kevin
email

Scott, the owner wants $2000 for the sunburst, a thrashed original case, a good hardshell case and a Les Paul Jr. amp and no tax. What do you think? Kevin

5/9/2000 10:07 PM
scott
email

smokin my man  
go for it especially with the original case and did you say a lp jr amp? thats phenominal dude, that set is a great investment not to mention the fact that the guitar is killer to boot,  
good hit kev  
good luck

5/9/2000 10:37 PM
Troy
email

A friend of mine has a '56 LP Jr. in his possession right now. The guitar stayed in a closet most of it's life so it's in pristine condition! The only thing was the tuner buttons crumbled away and reissues are on it now. We played it thru my old Traynor head and it was crankin! Funny thing is, the owner is letting my friend hold on to it, but hadn't decided to sell it, so?? I'm not too crazy about the chunky neck on it though, but it's a solid guitar for sure.  

Troy

Page 1 of 1