ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Pickguard noise

2/18/2000 6:34 PM
Ron
email
Pickguard noise
When I rub my Strat's pickguard I get a static type noise coming out of the amp. It's not the cable. I put electrical tape under the pickguard to seperate it from the body. No luck. Any ideas?

2/18/2000 7:15 PM
Brad
email

That's just your Strat purring, like a cat when you rub it. Seriously, though, is everything under there gounded properly? Sounds likes static build-up, which can happen to plastic stuff. Are you in a dry climate, and does it do it in the spring when the humidity is higher? I'm not sure plastic on wood would be a problem, like you tried to solve with the tape. Are YOU static charged? Synthetic clothes can build up static, as well as carpeting. Just some thoughts. I'm sure there's a logical explanation that someone will come up with.

2/18/2000 9:47 PM
Anders Westerberg
email

Fender deals with the problem in one of their FAQ's:  
http://www.fender.com/faq/techfaq.html  
Second question from the top. Good luck!  

2/18/2000 10:29 PM
Ron
email

Thanks for the tip.

2/18/2000 11:26 PM
Brad
email

By golly....I was close, anyway.  
Brad

2/19/2000 1:42 AM
Dave James
email

As noted, Fender has dealt with this issue by offering a pickguard with a conductive surface on the backside. You can do the same thing by lining the surface with aluminum or brass foil and grounding it.  

I've done this on my Strat and it works just fine.  

DJ  

2/19/2000 9:12 PM
Steve Dallman
email

I had this problem with my Tele and solved it by sandwiching a dryer clothes softener sheet between the pickguiard and the body.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>