ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Nailing down your ideal tone pot

:
12/5/1999 9:27 PM
Blues Lyne
Re: Nailing down your ideal tone pot
quote:
"Y'know, although Gibson and Gibson-style guitars are beautiful for their wood and tone, there is something to be said for having a pickup wiring harness sitting on the pickguard, and being able to mount addition components (such as switches) on the pickguard."

I agree. Also seems the toggle switch should go down by the knobs. I always hit it while struming and If you want to change pickups and turn the volume up for a solo you have to go to opposite sides of the guitar. I think for now I'll just wire it to have one volume and not worry about being able to adjust the mix of the two pickups. Can't do that on my strat and it never bothered me before.  

Blues  

12/2/1999 6:08 AM
Mark Hammer
"What does it mean when the tone control barely changes anything until you hit about 3, then everything goes rapidly down to mute?"  

What it means is exactly the rationale for my long post on nailing down your ideal tone pot. Clearly, for you, rotating the tone pot yields nothing useful for a while, then everything kind of zips past too fast to be of any good. What you want to do is take that 10-4 zone and turn it into the 10-8 zone, and take the 4-2 zone and make it stretch from 7 on down. In other words, you want a pot with a different taper (although I"ll bet you also want a different tone cap, but that's another matter). In this veing, I strongly recommend you look at the posted articles on pot tapering at either GEOFEX (www.geofex.com) or AMZ (www.muzique.com) and try the solutions described there.  

If you look at the reply to Dave below, there is a suggestion about how to reduce volume control interactions.  

Incidentally, Hamer (no relation, but I wish they were) has chosen to wire up some models with the neck and bridge pickup out of phase with each other. Since phase cancellation from such wiring depends on matched signal levels, any shift in volume for either the front OR rear pickup will result in the nasal out-of-phase sound disappearing. It's a clever way of having in/out of phase sounds without having to install a switch. The down side is that if the two pickups aren't adjusted to produce roughly equivalent outputs (e.g., if you raise or lower a pickup or polepieces), the "magic" spot where phase cancellation occurs may be hard to find easily when playing live.

12/2/1999 6:20 AM
Tarrie

OK, thanks Mark. That gives me a good start. If I keep reading these posts and ask questions, I'm bound to understand this stuff sooner or later.

<<First Page<PrevPage 4 of 4