ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Tele neck pickup rewind

:
8/13/1999 5:11 PM
Giacomo
Tele neck pickup rewind
The local tech did the job, pickup is rewound, sounds stronger and fuller but resistance is still 4k ohms. He used 0.07 wire 8200 turns (as it was). The wire is likely a bit thicker than original specs (43 AWG), but this should give such a difference in resistance?  

I don't know what to think... maybe wise if an *expert* re-do the job.  

Giacomo

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

8/16/1999 4:19 PM
Doc

Thicker wire has lower resistance per unit length. That's why you measure only 4K ohms. If you got 8200 turns of the thicker wire on the bobbin, and it sounds good to you, no need to have it rewound again. You now have a custom-wound pickup.

8/18/1999 5:37 PM
Giacomo

quote:
"If you got 8200 turns of the thicker wire on the bobbin, and it sounds good to you, no need to have it rewound again. You now have a custom-wound pickup. "

I don't like very much. I'm going to try with Kent Armstrong (UK) pickup or rewind.  

Giacomo

8/22/1999 7:53 AM
Steve A.

Doc:  

This is off-topic a bit, but have you ever heard about removing the metal cover from a tele neck pickup? I was wondering if it might make it sound more like a strat neck pickup... (With my set of SD Antiquities I have the neck pickup raised up almost to the point where it hits the strings just to balance the output of the bridge pu which is set down about as low as I want to go with it.)  

Thanks!  

Steve Ahola

8/23/1999 10:21 AM
anonymous
Steve,  

the metal cover kills volume, especially treble,  

since eddy currents are induced also here and not only in  

the coil. Since the cover has a low resistance, it  

shorts tone.  

It's also possible that SD ages the magnets too much....

Page 1 of 1