ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

To Refin or Not to Refin

:
8/3/1999 1:17 PM
CJ Landry
To Refin or Not to Refin
I play a 75 Fender Strat that has the finish on the top and bottom edges of the neck wore off due to playing. I am afraid that I will destroy the neck if I do not have this fixed. My question is if anyone else has seen this problem and if it is worth having the neck refin'ed for longevity or will refinishing the neck destroy the action I have come to love and get used to?  

Thanks,  

CJ

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

8/3/1999 3:11 PM
charlie

is the fingerboard maple or rosewood? if it's rosewood you can mask the fretboard off during the process  

you can get a great finish yourself if you don't mind DIY effort, see <http://www.flash.net/~guitars/index.htm> for info on guitar refinishing methods and materials

8/3/1999 4:45 PM
Liam

They seem to live forever with no finish on them. I actually prefer the feel. I've been too scared to get my strat neck refinished, in case it gets messed up, so it's had worn off finish for about 10 years now. Been refretted twice, but never refinished.

8/3/1999 6:23 PM
adrian

I'm with Liam on this one - I have had the same G&L bass since 1982 and it has gradually lost much of the finish on the back and sides of the neck and I've had no problems with it. I think that unless you like the feel of new guitar necks leave it alone.

8/4/1999 4:27 AM
Steve A.

CJ:  

I'd vote with Liam and adrian on this one, but I wanted to add that you do want to protect the unfinished wood. Stars Guitars from SF used to sell "Boogie Juice" for conditioning fretboards. When they stopped making it they told me their formula: one part boiled linseed oil, one part lemon oil. I'll mix up a batch of that stuff and rub it all over a guitar fretboard and neck after cleaning it. Unfinished wood will want to soak up moisture and if you "quench its thirst" with good ole Boogie Juice it is less likely to soak up H20 which could eventually cause it to crack...  

Steve Ahola

8/5/1999 4:36 AM
charlie
an option similar to Steve Aloha's home-brew "Boogie Juice" is to mix Tung oil with a polyurethane finish in a 1:1 ratio; apply sparingly, wipe off the excess, let dry, use multiple thin coats as needed  

unconventional, why yes! try it on a scrap piece of well sanded hardwood and see for yourself... great for rosewood fingerboards - feeds and lightly seals the wood

8/5/1999 5:12 AM
Steve A.

charlie:  

I've never really liked using polyurethane because of the hassles of applying it, but I'll have to try out your idea! Thanks! (It'd probably help CJ's guitar neck from absorbing ugly stains over the years to come- one drawback with a simple oil finish like Boogie Juice.)  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. After wiping off the excess how much time should you allow it to dry- hours? days?  

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>