ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Super Reverb

:
6/5/2000 6:26 PM
Mike O
Super Reverb
I saw a 66 BF SR in Guitar Center the other day, they were asking $1600 for it (outragious). My ? is this, It looked like all the tubes were replaced, but in the rectifier tube spot there was something that appeared to be a bias probe of some sort instead of the tube. I took the liberty of playing the amp with an old 62 strat, the amp sounded awesome, but of course that price is out of control. Anyway can anyone tell me what that was in that tube spot?  
Thanks,  
Mike O

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

6/5/2000 6:35 PM
Cole

Probably a solid state rectifier replacement (tube socket with diodes inside).

6/5/2000 7:13 PM
Dave James

...absolutely. I used to use one those in my '65 Pro-Reverb as an attempt to eek out a couple more watts.  

Later,  

DJ

6/5/2000 7:16 PM
Dave James

!!!!!!!!!!!! $1600 ?????????????????  

JEESE LOUISE! I bought mine ('66) from a metal-head kid 2 years ago for $200 (he didn't like the tone...no distortion). Then, they were in the $600-$900 range.  

Later,  

DJ

6/5/2000 10:48 PM
steveR

WOW! This is sort of a caveat emptor in reverse. Seller Beware! Was it hard to keep from giggling or keep a straight face?  

For the record, a buddy just bought a '66 Super Rev. $1450 cash/no tax, and it's nice but certainly not "mint" or pristine condition.

6/5/2000 11:49 PM
Peter S

Mid sixties Super Reverbs go for 1,500.00 to 1,800.00 in my area all day long. You can put one on the floor no advertisement, and it will be gone within a couple of days. I've seen rough ones, non-original tubes, caps, resistors, speakers, Tolex peeling, face plate uglied up go for 1,200.00. OUCH!!!! Totally outrageous! It's only been in the last year that I've seen the prices get so out of control. At this rate, my handbuilt custom amps are gonna begin to seem like bargain basement stuff.  

Peter S  
Kimerik Amplifiers

6/6/2000 12:07 AM
Joe Movich

WOW! $1600 for a SFSR? Mike O. what city is this particular Guitar Center in? Recently I saw a SFSR at a guitar show for $950. and I thought that was outrageous. Guess I'm gonna fix mine up and keep it!

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>