ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Why The Frying Bacon Sound?

:
9/18/2000 3:03 PM
Ara D
Re: Why The Frying Bacon Sound?
Have you tried cleaning and retensioning your tube sockets?  

Ara

9/18/2000 6:41 PM
Spencer

Yes.

9/18/2000 8:40 PM
steveR
Does the sound occur when the volume is up and there is no guitar plugged in? Or with the guitar plugged in and the guitar's volume down (amp vol. cranked)?  
Maybe try remelting the input jack solder connections...  
Or perhaps output connections/new speaker cable.

9/18/2000 9:11 PM
Spencer

The problem is audible when the guitar is plugged in and the guitar and amp volume are up.

9/19/2000 1:19 AM
steveR
...so if it happens ONLY when the guitar is plugged in and the guitar's volume is up, but DOESN'T happen when the guitar's volume is down I'd say the sound is coming from the guitar. (Bad solder connection, or dying battery if you've got EMGs. )  

If it occurs ONLY when the guitar is plugged in regardless of the state of the guitar's volume control it's probably some other bad connection. (bad cable?)  

And if it happens whether a guitar is plugged in or not, but only when the volume's cranked, it's got to be something that occurs in the circuit before the volume control. (input jack? first stage? dc on the tone stack or dirty pots?)  

And last, if it occurs all the time regardless of the amp's volume control it may be something in the power section (although what you've described pretty much rules this out) I'm sorry if you've already gone through this troubleshooting logic, but it's how I would have to approach it.  

Can you try with a different guitar? Cable? Flourescent lights or other electronics (esp w/ small transformers) off in the room?

9/19/2000 1:40 AM
jon

I've got a '68 Delux Reverb that was similiarly driving me nuts.After checking/replacing all the usual stuff, took a close look at the OT, noticed the laminates had a fair amount of surface rust under that cover. Pulled the OT, swapped in another and the problem resolved. Salvaged the original by careful mask/glassbeading; then hit it with auto restoration anti-rust paint (Carolles? from Eastwood in Malvern, PA) Topcoated with some semi-gloss enamel. Replaced the original,problem hasn't returned after several weeks heavy use....can eddy currents cause this kinda symptom? Or maybe did it just need some solder freshening-up after 30+ years??  
Jon

9/19/2000 6:09 PM
steveR
I would guess probably the later. I've seen some really nasty rusted out (on the surface) output trannies that sounded ok. Plus, many problems tend to disappear with just a little TLC. I can't count the number of things I've ever "fixed" by just taking them apart, cleaning 'em up and putting em pack together. I don't fix stuff or a living, on the contrary , as a software QA engineer I basically break stuff for a living, but I was curious if the techs here have noticed this too, that things don't really break catastrophically out of the blue. Isn't the cause usually neglect or abuse? and how often do things get fixed just with a good cleaning up?

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 2