ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Why The Frying Bacon Sound?

:
9/17/2000 3:52 AM
Spencer
Why The Frying Bacon Sound?
BF Super. New caps and resistors but still getting frying bacon sounds when the volume is full up. What now?  
Thanks.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

9/17/2000 5:02 AM
Troy

Did you replace the plate load resistors (100K's)? They can get noisy with age.  

Troy

9/17/2000 6:02 AM
Spencer

Yes.

9/18/2000 1:30 AM
Bruce

I know this sounds silly now but can you hear a difference in this hissy sound when you flip the the switch up?  

Also, some Fender amps will fry the screen current limiting 470 ohm resistors mounted on the tube socket and they can make funny sizziling noises before they go open or a high resistance.  
Have you tried swapping the rectifier tube yet.  
Bruce

9/18/2000 3:17 AM
Spencer

New tubes, new resistors, new caps.  
Plug the guitar in, crank up the volume, and you can hear what I can only describe as a sizzling sound similar to that of bacon frying in a pan. What gives?  
Thanks.

9/18/2000 4:13 AM
Richie{~}==:::

I can see what Bruce is saying.. usually new resistors will help this problem.There are a few things that might help..or some questions that might help us. Was the amp doing the same thing before you changed the parts? When you say you changed all of the resistors and caps.. which ones?? caps on the board..under the cap pan. There are some resistors there that can cause this too.The bias resistors..and screen grid resistors.  
Sometimes its the caps.. What you can do is pull the first preamp tube..to see which section it is in.on down the line to see where the trouble might be.Dirty tube sockets,or loose connection on the pins.If you tap on the amp do you hear any changes..more or less?.What preamp tubes are you useing..sovtek. I once had a Princeton in, and the same noise came from using the sovtek 6V6s..put in some RCA and it would be fine.Put the Sovtek in and bubbly frying sound would come back,and they were brand new too. Just some things to look for..  
Richie{~}==:::

9/18/2000 5:36 AM
Spencer

All the resistors in the amp were replaced with carbon films (metal films in the power supply).  
All electrolytics, under the pan and on the board, were replaced.  
Tubes are new Sovtek LPS and NOS GE 6L6GC's.  
Stll frying bacon.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>