ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

can anyone give me advice on mods for a heavy metal tone?

8/31/2000 1:22 AM
marshall amp owner can anyone give me advice on mods for a heavy metal tone?
i own a marshall jcm900 4502 dual reverb amp n i want to know what type of mods i could do to get that Motley Crue "shout at the devil"tone out of it,i've changed the tubes over to 6550a s n have a mid cut right behind the eq ,i lso use an eq in the effects loop,are there any other mods that i could do to get the sound that i am looking for?like changin coupling caps or other things?i would greatly appreciate your help

8/31/2000 4:57 PM
Mitch
email
Try a Soldano SLO clone!!!
My advice is to sell the JCM900 and build a Soldano SLO 100. Ive built a SLO clone as well as some other ampagers here and it is the most heavy sounding amp Ive ever owned. Its got the Crue, scorpions, heavy rock sound and the distortion is fluid smooth and HEAVY!!!. I can see wy Mike S charges so much for the SLO, Its distortion sounds like a fat plexi hi gain amp. Thats my 2 cents worth. Any one else care to comment?  
Cheers  

9/5/2000 4:08 PM
Robert Monroe
email

Where can I get the schematics and or layout for the Soldano clone? Would also love to build a 5150 clone need the schematics for that one as well.

9/7/2000 3:31 PM
Trace
email

The schematics are at Steve Ahola's site. As far as a layout...I'm not really sure if there is one or not(?) Someone may have one and I'm sure they'll post it if they have one.  

Trace

8/31/2000 5:36 PM
tube lover Re: can anyone give me advice on mods for a heavy metal tone?
frankly, you don't need tubes for that kind of tone. Get a stomp box distortion pedal. With that much gain a square wave is a square wave no matter if its a tube or transistor clipping.

9/1/2000 10:16 AM
Liam
email

That's not actually fair or true, whether you like a very distorted sound or not. (I'm not really a metal fan myself, I admit)  

Comparing 'super saturated' signals through fuzz boxes I like and high gain amps I hear very different sounds, and see different traces on my scope (not generally square waves as it goes).  

Are you sure you're not just being "metalist", or whatever the PC term for someone with a thing against mullets and high gain is:)?

9/1/2000 11:13 AM
Doug H
email

quote:
"Comparing 'super saturated' signals through fuzz boxes I like and high gain amps I hear very different sounds, and see different traces on my scope (not generally square waves as it goes)."

Well, "fuzz box" is kind of a generic term that covers a lot of ground. Some sound more "ampy" than others. FWIW, I've heard some lousy tube circuits that sounded like crappy fuzz boxes too, (You should have heard my amp a few times while I was in the middle of tweaking it!;))  

I have heard some mosfet-based stompbox circuits that can get pretty close to that metal-amp sound. But you're right, the high-gain amp tone is a sound of it's own. And it's hard to get the "feel" out of a stompbox that you do out of an amp.  

Doug

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>