ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Electar 30 -> Wreck Express conversion board

:
6/3/2000 8:42 PM
Steve Ahola
Electar 30 -> Wreck Express conversion board
    Here is my first attempt at making up my own eyelet board for this conversion project. The board material is called "fishpaper" and the eyelets were set using an unpowered 8" drill press and the Mouser staking kit.  

Although this circuit does use a cathodyne driver the board design could be easily modified for a long tailed pair. Alas, I figured out a much better way to wire up the 3rd stage so this board will go in my junk box... (The 10k Rk will go next to the RK/Ck's for the first two stages and will tie in nicely with the .002uF/150k RC network between the second and third stages. I can also make the board a little bit longer so that one 100/350uF filter cap doesn't have to sit over the rectifiers...) I guess that is why we call them prototypes! ;)  

http://www.ampage.org/blueguitar/e30xpres.jpg  

Here is a revised drawing showing the changes mentioned above:  

http://www.ampage.org/blueguitar/e30xprs2.jpg  

--Enjoy!  

Steve Ahola  

Steve Ahola

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

6/4/2000 1:05 AM
Steve Ahola

Well, here is Rev. B of the eyelet board:  

http://www.ampage.org/blueguitar/e30xprss.jpg  

Gotta get to work stuffing the sucker and wiring it up!  

Steve Ahola

6/4/2000 6:47 AM
Bryan James

steve,  
how much room is in that chassis?  
just wondering it would be worth getting on just to gut and build a different amp in it  
so was curious of the diamentions  

-Bryan  

P.s. is the speaker any good that comes with it?

6/4/2000 7:58 AM
Steve Ahola

Bryan:  

The outside dimensions of the chassis are:  

16 7/8" long by 7 5/8" wide by 2 1/2" deep  

(The controls go along the top rear of the cabinet like a tweed deluxe.)  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. I assume that the speaker is crap but I haven't tested it with a decent amp circuit yet. (The stock Electar 30 is very possibly the worst-sounding tube amp ever made!)

6/4/2000 4:55 PM
Bryan James

(The controls go along the top rear of the cabinet like a tweed deluxe.)  

how many controls does it have? good you put volume, 3 eq knobs, and master volume or preance?  

P.S. I assume that the speaker is crap but I haven't tested it with a decent amp circuit yet. (The stock Electar 30 is very possibly the worst-sounding tube amp ever made!)

just looking at it, as someone who doesnt' have wood working tools or really wood work skills. is it worth it, just the chassis and the cabenit. bonus would be good iron and ok speaker  

-Bryan

6/4/2000 7:39 PM
Steve Ahola

Bryan:  

The top panel has five controls, 3 jacks, a power switch and a small square opening for the terrible boost switch. You could use the line-out or footswitch jacks for additional controls, or drill another hole (heaven forbidó hacking up a vintage '99 Electar 30!)  

As for the speaker, my opinion on practically any inexpensive modern combo amp is that they work better with an ext cab... just figure that you are buying a head with a built-in speaker for practicing at lower volumes. (The thin sheet metal on all of these cheap amps can vibrate and rattle a lot when you crank them up compared to the thick gauge metal used on a "real" combo amp like the BF and SF Fenders.)  

Steve Ahola

6/7/2000 3:10 PM
peter
"square opening for the terrible boost switch"  

you mean there's a 'terrible' boost, in case the  
sound isn't 'terrible' enough already!?

Page 1 of 13 Next> Last Page>>