ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

silvertone conversion

:
5/30/2000 2:34 AM
labrat
silvertone conversion
Does anybody have and info regarding conversion  
of a Silvertone model 1484 from 6L6 to EL34?  
Will the filament windings hold up? Has any one tried it, successfully or not?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

5/30/2000 5:12 AM
Matt

I'm sure you'd like feedback from someone who may have tried it, but barring that, I've been a longtime Silvertone fan, having had a 1482 and two 1484s. Let me preface by saying that the ST has been more of an infatuation from my sentimental/nostalgic side, having looked at the Sears catalogs for hours, dreaming about that gear as a kid. They can sound great, but they are more of a novelty than a serious amp, IMHO. The reverb alone proves that ;^) That said...  

First, the output transformers are extremely wimpy. Very small. Very often I hear complants of blown OPTs on the 1484s. The PT is very small, also, so if I was going to undertake this conversion, I'd try to find suitable OTP and PT replacements. Then, depending on the PT of choice, you may have to change the voltage doubler to a bridge or FW power supply. Then the bias would need to be changed and add 1k or maybe 1.5k resistors to screens.  

If this doesn't sound too far fetched and you can deal with the minimal real estate in those things, the choice is yours.  

I personally think they have a really nice overdrive with 6L6s. You might try 5881/6L6WGB instead of 6L6GC for earlier breakup. IMHO, a proper conversion to EL34 would be in Hack territory and I wouldn't do it.  

Cheers,  
Matt

5/30/2000 12:10 PM
T.B.

I agree with Matt. I acquired a 1484 that I need to go through, looks to be in pretty decent shape. I think the trannies are too small for EL34's also.  
I'd be happy just to have it running good with the 6L6's. T.B.

5/30/2000 12:55 PM
Sweetfinger

While I have a slightly higher opinion of Silvertone amps than most(They sound great and can be a reliable stage amp depending on the situation), I agree that if you feel the need to convert one to el-34's, you need to get another amp. The Transformer MAY handle the filament current but IMHO you have many, many easier options to mod the amp that require much less expense and effort. If you read all these posts advising you not to do this and still feel the need, I know where you can get a 1485 (4 opt tube) power transformer that will handle the current. (Its still attached to the amp BTW)

5/31/2000 1:37 AM
scott

im glad to here all of this stuff about these amps, i found one in the trash a couple years ago, i think its a 1484, it has trem rev, from what i gather here it may be worth having it looked at to see if it works or if i can be made to work, i wonder how far i should go with this, were do you tell the tech no its not worth all that, any help here fellas?

5/31/2000 2:48 AM
anonymous
i've fixed up a couple of those amps and while not a total rebuild, there is ussualy alot to do. alot of times the reverb doesnt work, and since they used cheap transducers in the reverb "tank" they make you get creative to find a way to fix it.the resistors they used are CHEAP and drift wildly, if they were ever in spec at all in the first place. uses a voltage doubler circuit and good filter caps are the first order of business. all plate load resistors are suspect to be way off spec and need checked and replaced if needed. the coupling caps have not stood the test of time well either and you will probably find alot of leakers. the reverb transducers can be replaced to get that reverb sounding as cheesy and almost usable as new by using [wow] piezo buzzer elements configured at right angles [flat side facing the spring] by using small diameter solid wire soldered to the element as attachment devices. i would say that if you a. got it cheap enough, or b. if you have a strong attachment to the amp or 3. if you can do the work yourself you might get it repaired. when properly serviced and the stock jensen spkrs are in it they sound damn good. if your going to gig the amp, put in some good 2 watt screen grid resistors, a 10 watt cathode resistor on the output tubes. there is no reason these amps cant be serviced to be dependable and good sounding, but it is a matter of cost if you dont do the work yourself. muddobber

5/31/2000 11:27 PM
labrat

A great big thanks to all that responded. This is the first time I've used this forum. What a great resource! I was asked to do this mod by a friend and was a little apprehensive. By the general consensus, I'd say my gut instinct was right. I think I can talk him into the 6L6s now.  
labrat

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>