ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: SLO-100 mods

5/30/2000 4:34 AM
Jeff Nickoloff
email
Re: SLO-100 mods
This is one I'll definitely try, Ray. I wouldn't mind the whole amp having a bit less highs. It has plenty. As far as the Warren Haynes mod goes, I do believe it's some resistors across the overdrive preamp control and it cuts out some of the fizz, but only when the preamp gain is very low {1-4}. It has no effect on higher gain settings. I wish it was more effective in the higher gains.  

thanks  
Jeff

5/30/2000 6:47 AM
Steve Ahola
email

Ray:  

I'm not familiar with the Warren Haynes mod...  

The WH mod removes a bright cap from the OD channel volume channel (which has already been done on the drawing I received).  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. On at least some of the SLO100's the OD volume control is tapped right after the first coupling cap (not after the RC network as shown on the drawing on my site). That would send a thicker signal into the OD channel (with less of the "fizziness", I believe).

5/30/2000 7:21 AM
Steve Ahola
email
SLO-100 corrections uploaded...
    Working from memory, I added in some of the corrections mentioned here by Joe L. amd Rick E:  

http://www.ampage.org/blueguitar/slo100.zip  

If I left anything out, let me know!  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. Here are the changes I made:  
- tap for OD volume after .02uF cc  
- FX send jack not switching  
- 1000uF cap on LDR supply

5/31/2000 1:51 AM
Steve Ahola
email
Re: SLO-100 CORRECTED corrections uploaded...
    Oops! Seems like my memory switched around some of the details so look for a slo100_1.gif file dated 5/30/00 6:45pm. (The tap for the Clean channel is connected before the RC network; the OD channel volume is connected after the RC network.)  

http://www.ampage.org/blueguitar/slo100.zip  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. Another change has to do with the bright switch on the Clean channel; the 470k resistor is always in the circuitó only the cap is toggled on and off with the switch.

5/31/2000 3:24 PM
Jeff Nickoloff
email

Man, I don't know what to do now. All these suggestions sound like they'll get me where I want. I just don't think I'll find a tech willing to go through all this. Should I send the amp back to Soldano as they do mods for their amps? When I bought my amp, it had several factory mods done initially. It has the Haynes mod, also has a switch which cuts mids in the clean, a depth control, and a slave out. A stock schematic would probably be misleading to a tech. What do you guys think I should do? I really want to tame the high/mid on both channels.  

thanks again  
Jeff

6/1/2000 4:11 AM
Steve Ahola
email

Jeff:  

Did you mention that you have two SLO100's? Why not mark all of the preamp tubes and swap them between one amp and the other? I've noticed a big difference in sound when using different brands/types of preamp tubes. As for the power tubes, you might need to rebias the amps if you exchanged them so you might leave that one for an amp tech.  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. I'm sure that a good amp tech would have no problem figuring out the factory mods done to your amp by comparing it to the on-line schematic. If you brought both amps in I'm sure that they could get the "fizzy" one sounding like the good one. But try swapping/changing the preamp tubes first. Good luck!

6/1/2000 2:36 PM
Jeff Nickoloff
email

Hello Steve. I did call Soldano and Bill suggested a .001 uf cap in place of the 47 pf at the phase inverter. He said that's what my other amp has due to a mod they sent me a few years ago. He was very helpful and patient with a non tech guy like me. Awesome company. Just like all you guys. I'm really glad I stumbled on this site. It's great for learning. I'm going to try this mod and then take it from there. I'm really interested in the mod you mentioned on the overdrive volume tap being before the rc network. I'll ask my tech about that one.  

thanks  
Jeff

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 8 Next> Last Page>>