ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Question for tboy on Tube Charts here...

8/27/2000 9:46 AM
Steve A.
email
Question for tboy on Tube Charts here...
tboy:  

While studying the charts here I ran into a term for PP applications:  

Peak AF Grid-No.1-to-Grid No.1 Voltage  

Is that referring to the ac voltage difference between the grids of the two power tubes? Since guitar signals aren't usually sine waves, would that refer to an averaged waveform (or possibly the RMS voltage)?  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. In experimenting with zeners ahead of the grids I noticed that there may be a component of a signal higher than the zener voltage, although the RMS reading on my DMM is well below the zener voltage... (Gotta get my scope going so that I can see what I am talking about!   :D   )

8/27/2000 10:23 AM
EDGAR
email

Hi.  
Isn't that just the maximum audio signal before clipping? I think so. Or in another way, the audio signal needed to get the rated output.  
Edgar

8/27/2000 10:37 AM
Steve A.
email

Edgar:  

Isn't that just the maximum audio signal before clipping?  

Agreed! But I was wondering if the signal was measured from each grid to ground, or between the two grids (in which case the voltage should be double that of the voltage to ground- right?)  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. I guess if we were talking tube audio, clipping would be very critical but with a guitar amp I suspect that there is "good clipping" and "bad clipping", depending on the type of tube and the content of the signal.

8/27/2000 11:05 AM
EDGAR
email

Steve. I'm quite shure it's measured grid to grid. Isn't that just what it says? Else You measure just one half of the signal.  

Of course we want some good clipping! :)  
But I guess if there is a value for maximum input in a data book, it means that's when it starts to overdrive. So, of course, we have to be shure to exceed that value if we want to rock or blues! Right?  

(Maybe some bad English here, hope You understand!)  

Edgar

Page 1 of 1