ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Customers Who Don't Pick Up Repairs

:
8/1/2000 4:08 PM
Tim C.
Customers Who Don't Pick Up Repairs
Hi All,  

I have never had this problem until recently.  

I have a 1970's 100 watt Marshall Super Lead and a 1961 Fender Bassman head that have been repaired.  

I have called the customers and told them that they can pick the items up but they have not responded. It has been a year on the Bassman and about 8 months on the Marshall.  

I am considering sending each a registered certified letter giving them 30 days to pick the items up. If not they will be sold to recover repair costs. I have a considerable amount of time and money invested in the Marshall.  

Is this reasonable? I feel that it is but would like to know others thoughts. I don't mind sitting on items for a while but 8 months to a year seems excessive to me.  

What policies do some of you have relating to this problem.  

Thanks in advance,  
Tim C.

8/1/2000 4:15 PM
Don Symes

Got any policies posted? You know, like a laundry that says '30 days and it's ours'.  

Remember that return receipt!

8/1/2000 4:20 PM
Graywater

Tim,  

I have them leave one of their children (keep 'em in the basement) as hostage when amps are dropped off.  

As far as I'm concerned, anything left over 3 months is fair game for sale. Have you called them up and informed that them that the amps will be sold the following week if not claimed? Seems to really work like a charm for me.  

GW

8/1/2000 4:23 PM
Bruce

quote:
"I am considering sending each a registered certified letter giving them 30 days to pick the items up. If not they will be sold to recover repair costs. I have a considerable amount of time and money invested in the Marshall.  

Is this reasonable?"

YES!!  

quote:
"I feel that it is but would like to know others thoughts. I don't mind sitting on items for a while but 8 months to a year seems excessive to me."

It is way too long! No reasonable person expects you to store their equipment for them.  

quote:
"What policies do some of you have relating to this problem."

Send them a regisitered letter with your demands and state in it you've added the cost of doing that to the final bill. You can always change your mind about that after you've heard why they haven't been back.  
Tell them you are giving them 30 days to pick it up and then sell it to recover your costs if they don't.  
Be carefull here as not to profit from their non compliance.  
Also from now on, write "that" policy on your invoices and include a $5-$8 weekly storage charge for ANYTHING left in your shop for more then 30 days after you've notified then customer it is ready to pick up as more incentive to get them to act in a more timely fashion.  
Again, you can alter your own company policy any time you want after you've heard their excuse.  
BTW: company poicy is not "LAW" and your state may have legislation regarding this issue that you should check out first.  

I've only sent one letter in my life regarding this issue and the guy cam in after getting the letter and signed the invoice and told me to keep the amp!  
I refused so he sold it to me for the cost of the parts I replaced.  
Bruce

8/1/2000 6:21 PM
John Martin

I've had a customer's Marshall head in my shop for over two years. Can't find it in my heart to sell it. The guy moved to NYC, but there is no other info. All it needed was a 0.5 cent resistor. Oh well, never had a Marshall of my own......  

JM

8/1/2000 6:15 PM
Carl Z

Tim;  

There seems to be a rash of this going on lately. The one here that's been popping up is some guy want's some particular exact part that needs to be scrounged up. I find it then he thinks the price is too high and doesn't want to pay for it. THAT is what pisses me off!  

I've got my policies posted on my website. basically it's 30 days and i start charging $2 bucks/day storage. after 90 days I own it and it's sold! Seems like you need to be a real stiff prick anymore or people will take advantage of you.  

Just make sure the policy is printed on the drop off ticket so they can't say they didn't know. You'll have to check your particular state laws to cover your ass as well.  

Carl Z

8/1/2000 7:03 PM
Graywater

'Nother thing that helps is customer authorization. My service order requests that the customer provide info such as name and address as well as equipment problems. It then states my bench fee and also gives the customer a place to pre authorize repairs up to $X amount. Then, a customer signature!!! This way the customer can't say that they were unaware of my policies because they've agreed to abide by them. No signee - no fixee!!  

GW

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>