ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Ampeg Reverbojet 1969 (what was orig. speaker)

:
7/21/2000 12:37 AM
Fabricio
Ampeg Reverbojet 1969 (what was orig. speaker)
I havw a Reverbojet from 1969, Two 7591s, one 6U10, two 12AX7s. It does not have the original speaker in it and I would like to know what it would have been, so I can restore it to original equipment.  

Thanks  
Fab

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

7/21/2000 7:26 AM
D.L.

most likely a CTS or a jensen

7/21/2000 12:37 PM
Fabricio

Thanks D.L.  

I think this amp was designed to be a very clean sounding tone, and I tend to think that a Jensen or CTS would not be the best choice for Ampeg to install if looking for very clean tone. Could they have used a JBL D series?  

Fab

7/21/2000 2:25 PM
Earl

I have this amp at home. I beleive it is original. If memory serves, the speaker is a blue back Jenson, Looks like ALNICO. I will check it for numbers when I go home for lunch.

7/21/2000 2:34 PM
Fabricio

Thanks Earl  

I really appreciate your response!!  

Fab

7/21/2000 5:04 PM
Peter S

Fab,  
Just had one of those in for an overhaul last week. It was definately all original. It had a Jensen C-12N in it. Ampeg didn't seem to plan on much when it came to building amps.....they would use whatever was available, which accounts for why you see so many different variations on the same model and many them don't match the schematics. I'd say they probably used the Jensens because they were the cheapest easily obtainable speaker available at the time. Your example may have come with a different original speaker, but I'd say a C-12N would probably be close enough. Jets are bottom of the line Ampegs, and yes the later Reverbo variety is a spanking clean machine. I've done some research on this model for a friend who was looking for the original speaker for a '68 0r '69 Revebojet and all I've come up with so far is C-12N's. JBL's would make good sense for clean sounds but they probably cost too much.  

Peter S

7/21/2000 7:16 PM
Earl

The speaker in mine is labeled as "Ampeg" special design so it is indeed original but it looks alot like the reissue ALNICO Jensons you see advertised. The only number I could find was on the frame "137-441". Probably does'nt help but there it is anyway.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>