ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Lead dress/wire routing question

:
7/14/2000 5:50 PM
Lee M.
Lead dress/wire routing question
For wires that go from the pots to the tube sockets or front of chassis to back, is it preferable (from a noise or stability standpoint) to run over the eyelet board or under it?  

What about heater wires? I've read the should be up in the air and that they should be down against the chassis and seen them both ways. Again, any preferred method? In my case stability, rather than noise, is the issue.  

Thanks.  

Lee

7/14/2000 8:03 PM
Gil Ayan

quote:
"For wires that go from the pots to the tube sockets or front of chassis to back, is it preferable (from a noise or stability standpoint) to run over the eyelet board or under it?  

What about heater wires? I've read the should be up in the air and that they should be down against the chassis and seen them both ways. Again, any preferred method? In my case stability, rather than noise, is the issue.  

Thanks.  

Lee"

I think if you keep the long run wires under the board you may be better off. PErsonally, my boards are mounted on standoffs, so it is easy to route the shielded wires that way. If you will use the "Fender" method, running something underneath the board woul be more difficult.  

About the heater wires, think of it this way. Ideally, the cabinet in which the amp will rerside is shielded so, by having the heater wires up in the air, they will be far from the audio wires AND close to the shielding plane inside the cabinet.  

Gil

7/15/2000 11:29 AM
BWilliamson

quote:
"What about heater wires? I've read the should be up in the air and that they should be down against the chassis and seen them both ways. Again, any preferred method?"

I dont' have the experience other guys have, but here's how I look at it. If I'm working on a Fender type board--Mounted directly to the chassis or on very low standoffs I like to put them up in the air like Fender did. If the amp I'm building uses taller standoffs where most of the wires will be coming down from the board to the socket I put the heaters on the chassis ala Marshall.  

If it's not real high or not real low I look at how busy the socket will be--lots of components directly mounted to the socket for example. I just decide which will work best in my mind.  

I've run heaters both ways, and haven't run into a problem with noise. Been just lucky I guess. YMMV  

bw

Page 1 of 1