ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: make sense to swap a 6AQ5 for a 6V6

:
7/11/2000 4:36 AM
John Beard
Re: make sense to swap a 6AQ5 for a 6V6
Oops I meant to say it's NOT especially loud when cranked.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

7/11/2000 6:05 AM
Casey4s

Yeah that's what is cool about this amp, at 12 watts you can use all of the amp, get some nice tube distortion, and not knock down the walls. I like the 6AQ5's in this amp, I have several 6V6 amps and I really like the tone of those tubes, but for some reason this amp sounds good with the 6AQ5's. I'd like to see how it would perform with a tube rectifier like a 5Y3, but I can't bring myself to "hack" the chassis.  

Casey4s

7/11/2000 4:06 PM
dutch

Casey-  
The 6AQ5 is essentially a miniature 7-pin version of a 6V6, with lower voltage specs because the pins are so close together (they can handle the low 300s ok, even though they spec out at 275V). That's probably why you like them....  

As for the 5Y3, the MM Bass Amp doesn't have a 5V winding, so you would have to put in a different transformer (a Champ/Princeton one bolts right in). Of course, with the different power transformer, you'll get a different sound. The voltage/current output on the Champ/Princeton units is way different.  

C ya,  
Dutch

7/11/2000 6:49 PM
Casey4s

I realize the 6AQ5's have essentially the same performance curve as the 6V6, but the tone is a lot different, and is an interesting alternative to the standard 6V6 tone and timbre.  

Yes I was planing to add a 2amp filament transformer if I went the 5Y3 route so as not to change the PT, but going to a Tube rectifier will lower the voltage a little anyway. A dual switchable rectifier would be interesting too.  

My main objection to actually doing this is that I don't want to "Hack" the chassis on this nice little amp.  

Thanks for the input Dutch,  

Casey4s

7/11/2000 7:34 PM
dutch

Casey-  

Yeah, they do sound a bit different. I think the 6AQ5 is constructed more like the old 6V6G or GT than a 6V6GTA (I haven't looked lately, though, so my memory could be iffy....), so that might be the difference in the tone.  

C ya,  
Dutch

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 2