ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Bogner Schems & Cheap Chassis

7/1/2000 10:54 PM
Matthew Drobnak
email
Bogner Schems & Cheap Chassis
Two things, really unrelated, but...  

I'm looking for a Bogner Fish preamp schem, or the Ecstasy..  

Also, wher would I be able to find a really cheap pre-punched chasis (new or used)? I'm looking to build a Route 66 preamp with a AX84 P1 output stage (5W EL84) and all I need is the chassis and few parts..  

Any info would be helpful..  

Thanks,  
Matt

7/2/2000 5:36 PM
Bruce
email

Matt, email me with more info about what kind of chassis you need.  
I have lots unused chassis that might work.  
Bruce

7/2/2000 9:04 PM
Dave B.
email

Bruce, I too am looking for aluminum chassis to build some small amp heads tubes facing up English style. A Deluxe reverb type amp with one channel and a Route 66 type amp. Somewhere around an 18" and a 15" chassis maybe? 1/8" would be nice, got any that fit this description? I don't care if there punched or not.  
I'm also looking for schematics of amps that are hard to come by on the web; I have a few hundred I'd be happy to trade. Also have NOS tubes I'd trade for the right schematic.  

Sincerely,  

Dave B.

7/3/2000 2:26 AM
Bruce
email

Well, the thickest aluminum chassis I do is .080" thick.  
.125" aluminum is very hard to bend tight corners without stress fractures.  
All my chassis are prepunched exept my cheap .050" aluminum prototype chassis.  
Let me see what I have that could work.  
Bruce

7/3/2000 6:29 AM
Dave B.
email

I mentioned 1/8" because Graydon Stokley is making me a chassis from 1/8" stock. If you have success with .080 I'm sure that would be fine. Pre-punched just makes life easier.  

Thanks,  

Dave B.

7/3/2000 4:25 PM
Bruce
email

Well the other problem with 1/8" thick aluminum chassis is the length of the threaded bushings on jacks, pots and other devices that come through the chassis.  
For example, if you are using a .040" to .060" faceplates with isolation washers on standard input jacks, it adds up to making it darn near impossible to get the nuts on.  
I hope these chassis are welded corners and seams and not all folded.  
Maybe he has better bending technique too!  
I've only tried 1/8" chassis three times and all three (from two different shops) ended up with cracks in the corners or in high stress areas.  
The thickest I'm mildly comfortable with is .100".  
I don't build any 100 watt amps anymore and the .080" thick aluminum with welded seams, works fine for the weight of 50 watt transformers and tubes.  

Bruce

7/3/2000 4:59 PM
Dave Burns
email

Yea, the chassis I'm getting will be a combination of folding (stamped?)and welded. I've seen pictures of them and the corners are not a sharp 90 degree bend but are rounded. Look at Graydon Stuckley's pictures of his Dumble clone and you'll get an idea of the final product. But enough of that.  
What about the chassis you have for sale. Can you give sizes, cost, etc? Email me at home or work if you like.  

Thanks,  

Dave Burns  
colorandimage@juno.com  
david.a.burns@us.ul.com

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>