ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

JMP Combo speakers

:
6/16/2000 2:03 PM
Chris JMP Combo speakers
Just found a 70's JMP 50 Mk II combo that sounds simply awesome - loud and toneful. I'm seriously thinking of buying it since portability is becoming an issue for me! My question concerns the speakers; it has 2x12 that have a 'Marshall' transfer stuck to the magnet. Any ideas what these speakers may be, given the approximate year of production for the amp (about '75-'79)?  

Many Thanks  

Chris

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

6/16/2000 2:12 PM
Tim Swartz

I've seen 2 different Celestion speakers in these...They put regular 1221 25w greenbacks (Marshall label)in them until about '79, then went to 65w for the remaining 2 years. The 65w are as you describe, silver w/ no magnet cover and a Marshall sticker on the magnet. If they have a small round screen (3/4") in the middle of the magnet, that would further confirm that they are the 65w.  

Tim

6/16/2000 2:20 PM
Chris
Many thanks Tim. This combo had the later of the two speaker types you described. Do you rate these combos?  

Chris

6/16/2000 4:00 PM
Liam

Don't know what Tim thinks, but I reckon the Mk 2 combos are fab. You'll find a switch to earlier (or reissue) speakers will soften the sound up a lot though. They can be a bit harsh with the later ones. Is it the master volume or the ordinary model?  

Liam

6/16/2000 4:21 PM
Tim Swartz

I give high marks to both the amp (90% seem to be the 2 input master...combo version of a 2104), and the 65w speakers. I've had them with both varieties of speakers, in fact I've had a beater with the 25s for a very long time. The 65w speakers are very warm sounding...very much like a greenback in the mids and top, but with better low end definition...And you don't have to worry as much about cooking them.  

Tim

6/16/2000 4:24 PM
Rebel420

I have an early JCM800 Cab with the 65Watt/15ohm jobs, and I have mixed feelings about them. They are one of he soother sounding high-wattage celestion Igive you that, but they don have that same bark as the old greenbacks do. Debatin on either selling the cab and getting an older cab, or re-speakering the cab... problem is, thing is just TOOO f$*&% heavy to ship, and in my area, the only 4-12 cabw people want are the MesaBoogie cabs sine they match their grungemaster dual/triple recto head

6/16/2000 5:27 PM
Tonefactor

quote:
"The 65w speakers are very warm sounding...very much like a greenback in the mids and top, but with better low end definition...And you don't have to worry as much about cooking them."

I agree, these are excellent sounding speakers. I think the 25 watters sound kind of weak in an open back cabinet.

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>