ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: visit Schematic Hell!

The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Concord Amps?

:
6/6/2000 10:29 PM
Peter S
Concord Amps?
Does anyone know much about Concord Amps? I ran across one today that was absolutely awsome sounding. Dallas Arbiter, same company that brought us Sound City. Ugly as sin cosmetically, but inside this amp is a technician's dream. Beautiful PTP on turrit strips. Unbelievable tone!If anyone knows anything about them or has schematics I'm sure interested. I dont think I've ever heard an amp that sounded so cool.  

Peter  
Kimerik Amps  

6/7/2000 3:59 AM
Tim Swartz

They were a Sound City amp...Late '60s, early '70s...and as you say ugly! In fact I've not encountered an uglier piece...Big rounded corners, slider controls, and a VU meter. There is a minor trick to really make these things come alive, and that is to remove the neg feedback loop. They are dumping a ton of signal back to the PI...Downside is that you lose the VU meter :-(  

Tim

6/7/2000 4:07 AM
Peter S

I kind of figured they were Sound City because of the Dallas Arbiter thing....but which model? Such a great sounding amp. I've seen a few Sound City amps but not one that sounded like this one.  

PS

6/7/2000 11:51 AM
Tim Swartz

"Concord" is the model. In my part of the country (Michigan), Sound City amps seem to be quite common. I actually remember a couple of retail joints that used to sell them....The active tone circuits are pretty intriguing.  

Tim

6/7/2000 11:57 AM
Peter S

Do you know where I can find a schematic for it? I live in Florida and we dont get to see to many Sound City amps. This one has no cabinet and the chassis just says Concord on it and in the lower corner you can just make out the Dallas Arbiter name.  

PS

6/7/2000 6:21 PM
Tim Swartz

FWIW, the Concord is actually a 2x12 combo.  

Tim

6/7/2000 7:16 PM
pumpstein

I can send you a copy of the schematic I drew up of of a Sound City Concord. I sent you email.

Page 1 of 1