ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Shopping for Dumble Clones: 2 Rock and Fuchs Audio

6/6/2000 1:56 PM
Mook
email
Shopping for Dumble Clones: 2 Rock and Fuchs Audio
In a few months, I'm going to pull the trigger on a Dumble-based amp. Either Fuchs or Two Rock.  

Has anyone compared the Two Rock Emrald and the Fuchs ODS?  

I've heard the Two Rock and was very impressed. But, for $1K less, I wonder what the Fuchs offers. I've  
read that his modifications are wonderful.  

I've read HC reviews on both amps, but does anyone have additional comments on either amp?  

Thanks,  

Mook

6/6/2000 10:03 PM
anonymous
After blowing 4k on a Two Rock....  
they came up with improvements that "blow  
the old version away".  
Every two weeks they have new upgrades because they can't settle on a design.  

I got suckered into this Dumble-mania  
but never again....  
Name some landmark recordings that rival  
ANY classic rock that was played thru Dumbles.  
Yeah, Robbin Ford, who's Dumbles are modded.  

I just got a Hiwatt 100 and Hiwatt cab that smoke the whole pile of those overprice clones into the trash.

6/6/2000 10:42 PM
Daver
email

If you're asking for opinions, I've got some :-). I bought a used Emerald 50 head in Feb. and wasn't too impressed with it. I sent it back to K&M in March to be updated to their latest (at the time) circuit design. This cost me another $400. Now it has more gain and the post OD EQ. Still, it's not all that great. Mine, anyway, is quite noisy. It picks up local FM radio like crazy. None of my other amps, including homebrews, do this, even in the same room. I've been trying to sell it and it's now on consignment at a music store. You'll notice that there have been quite a few of these amps for sale on the web. Just do a search on Harmony Central. Anons point about the ever changing design is well taken. FWIW.  
Daver

6/6/2000 10:54 PM
Gil Ayan
email

quote:
"After blowing 4k on a Two Rock.... they came up with improvements that "blow the old version away".  
Every two weeks they have new upgrades because they can't settle on a design."

I agree that is unfortunate, I can see people wanting to improve their design. But then there are more subtle ways of doing these things, a good example of which is the FFII pedal, for example.  

quote:
"I got suckered into this Dumble-mania but never again...."

Your case was kind of particular too, you bought the amp sight unseen and because you had an acquaintance who was selling his. I did like the TR I played at NAMM, I'd have a hard time spending that much money on any amp, unless it was excatly what I wanted. No 50W amp is exactly what I want, ever. :)  

quote:
"Name some landmark recordings that rival ANY classic rock that was played thru Dumbles."

Dumbles were never known as classic rock albums. And you know, better than I for sure, that gear is only a part of the equation. What is an amp that allows you to do your thing best (and your best sounds good to me, paisano), may be not-so-good for me and vice versa.  

quote:
"Yeah, Robbin Ford, who's Dumbles are modded."

I mentioned this to you before. While the TR is evidently "inspired" by the Dumble amps, they are not Dumbles. There can't be any rocket science inside of Robben's amps, perhaps a couple fo different components here and there if he wanted a little more or less gain, or to change the voicing here and there. That was why some people liked the Dumbles, because they could get DUmble to tweak the amp till it sounded right to THEM. I bet that if you lived close to TR, and if they extended the courtesy to tweak the amp for your for free, you might have ended up with something you liked better than what you got.  

quote:
"I just got a Hiwatt 100 and Hiwatt cab that smoke the whole pile of those overprice clones into the trash."

And I can believe that. I have posted here, many times, that I would be pefectly comfortable gigging -- with confidence that I would sound as good as I do through any of my own amps -- with a Marshall Valvestate amp, for example. :)  

Gil

6/7/2000 12:34 AM
Lou V.
email

The anonymous poster has a review at HC also displaying some dissatisfaction (also anonymous, btw)...I just always wonder about anonymous posters though...

6/7/2000 2:41 AM
Steve Snider
email

The anon poster actually has a great review posted on the Two Rock site. He is Carl Fiadino and seemed to really dig the amp until another change sent him over the edge. I too wasn't happy to hear my amp was inferior to the latest one 4 weeks ago but after getting one I can see why it was the final tweak. The amp is dead quiet and sounds much better than all previous efforts. The other ones were great and the new ones are better in every way.  

Steve

6/7/2000 3:30 AM
Lou V.
email

Yeah, I've heard about people grumbling about the constant updates, since I'll be driving to Indoor Storm to check one out, knowing that they updated the circuit 4 weeks ago makes me pretty reluctant to buy any stock they have on hand....

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>