ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

JCM800

:
6/2/2000 1:26 PM
Evan Chriss
JCM800
What are the good years that the JCM-800 2203's were made in?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

6/2/2000 2:17 PM
Trace

quote:
"What are the good years that the JCM-800 2203's were made in? "

I mod about a zillion (ha, ha) and there really isn't one year that's any better than another. They are PCB (printed circuit board). They were made from 76-89 (90). They all sound the same and if one sounds "weak" then I would look into getting new tubes and you should be more than fine!  

The 2203's (100 watters) are harder to find than the 50 watters. If you have a problem locating one just let me know as I usually have a couple on hand.  

Hope it helps!  
Trace

6/2/2000 4:24 PM
Tonefactor

I would look for one with the inputs mounted vertically rather than the PCB mounted horizontal ones. The 2203's with horizontal inputs had minor changes to the circuit which weren't for the best. These include a cap on the first gain stage from the cathode to the plate, and one less filter cap.

6/3/2000 3:11 AM
Dave M.

quote:
"I would look for one with the inputs mounted vertically rather than the PCB mounted horizontal ones."

Are they also different in that the earlier ones (vert. input) have flying leads to the pots, and the later ones have the pots and jacks PCB mounted?  

TIA  
-Dave M.

6/2/2000 8:55 PM
Richie {~}==:::
Well what Trace is saying is, the JCM800s were started in 81, the 2203 and 2204 were master volume amps they came out in 75 but they didn't call them JCM 800s.. but the circuits are pretty much the same, just a few different versions with changes made for country and tubes it used. But they are great amps. Richie{~}==:::

6/2/2000 10:57 PM
Tonefactor

quote:
"the 2203 and 2204 were master volume amps they came out in 75 but they didn't call them JCM 800s.. but the circuits are pretty much the same"

The first master volumes from 75 were actually quite different than the later ones.

6/3/2000 9:46 AM
Liam

Can you be a bit more specific? I know the '75 models sound a lot better than my '79 model, because I AB'd them a while back. Didn't take them apart to find out why!  

Liam

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>