ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Got my Fuchs Overdrive Supreme!

5/27/2000 3:24 PM
Steve Snider
email
Got my Fuchs Overdrive Supreme!
Yesterday my Fuchs head came. It is a beauty. The cabinetry is extraordinary and the amp sings. I can get an amazing array of tones from the head and will post a more detailed tone report after logging a few more hours and conducting some ab tests with one of my new Two Rocks. The Two Rocks built in the last 3 weeks are far superior to the previous TR efforts. I will run an extensive series of tests using an ab box and the same stereo cab split into mono. Right now I can tell you that the Fuchs destroy's the Bruno Super 100 which is a good Dumble Clone. The Fuchs amp is super touch sensitive and sounds great even at really low volumes. Much more to come. Andy did a great job!  

Steve Snider

5/28/2000 10:40 AM
Steve Ahola
email

Steve:  

I was just looking at the Two-Rocks site and noticed what they had to say about their tone bypass switch:  

Tone Bypass: This feature acts as a mid boost and adds some gain. Great for pushing the clean channel into a slight overdrive.  

With the Dumblesque PAB, the difference in sound level is usually more than just "adds some gain" (it does depend on the setting of the tone potsó if they are all set to 10 then there is really no boost in gain but more of a change in the tone).  

My question for you is this: with the tone stack set to 5-5-5, how would you describe the level of boost when the tone stack is bypassed (slight to drastic). I was wondering because they may pad down the signal a bit in the Tone Bypass mode by switching in a resistor to ground (something like 220k).  

Two-Rocks also mentions that their Clean channel gets a bit crunchy when you boost the gain. I ask because the Humble clean preamp usually stays pretty clean at even the higher gain settings (in contrast to a BF-style preamp which will break up and distort). I quote from their site:  

Push it a little by increasing the gain setting, and you transcend smoothly and seamlessly into the tastiest overdrive around.  

So do you agree with that, Steve? Not necessarily that it is the "tastiest" OD around, but are they talking about preamp distortion or power amp distortion (i.e., does it distort at low settings of the MV or only when the amp is set loud?)  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola

5/28/2000 1:14 PM
anonymous
quote:
"With the Dumblesque PAB, the difference in sound level is usually more than just "adds some gain" (it does depend on the setting of the tone potsó if they are all set to 10 then there is really no boost in gain but more of a change in the tone)."
I had a Two Rock Amethyst. Even though they state in Bypass, the tone controls are bypassed, they work in Bypass. The probem I had was in the Bypass mode, the amp was great....switch the Bypass off and the amp was bassy as shit. Unuseable to me in the unbypassed mode. IMO, you had to pick which mode you liked, and set the tones accordingly.
quote:
"Two-Rocks also mentions that their Clean channel gets a bit crunchy when you boost the gain. I ask because the Humble clean preamp usually stays pretty clean at even the higher gain settings (in contrast to a BF-style preamp which will break up and distort). I quote from their site:  

Push it a little by increasing the gain setting, and you transcend smoothly and seamlessly into the tastiest overdrive around."
The Clean stayed fairly clean even with the clean gain maxed, which I HAD to do to get the lead channel to sing.  

For the $$ they charged and with their constant upgrades, in which they wanted top dollar after you just spent over 4k, was BS, IMO.  

Sold it and got a Hiwatt Custom coming.  

5/28/2000 3:41 PM
Steve Snider
email

The Tone bypass used to be a true tone bypass. I have one with both a tone bypass and a mid boost. All of the newer ones have the mid boost type. At 1/2 way up on the TS the mid boost does add a nice amount of volume and some gain. It also is what can breakup the clean channel when the gain is turned up. Without the bypass or "midboost" it stays pretty clean unless it's loud. The lead channel with the midboost/bypass really spits out great higher gain tones.  

The amps took a final twist with a new board layout and a few little changes. The TR has never sounded as good and I have gone through a bunch to get here. The new ones (within the last three weeks) are really something. I had a great player over last night who has heard everything I've had or have and he could not believe it. They have a '97 ODS in their shop that's for sale because the owner heard the new amp and put the Dumble up for sale immediately. The new amp is much more than a Dumble Clone and really has amazing tone.  

I heard from several sources that HAD is coming out of retirement and has built a reasonably priced amp that is in production now. Know anything about this?  

Steve Snider

5/28/2000 5:03 PM
anonymous
Boy, this thread got off it's starting subject quickly ! Whats the "poop" on the Fuchs ? With all the flames and usenet babble, it would be nice to know if/how it stacks up. Obviously, if it beats the Bruno, it's either quite good, or the Bruno's a sham. As someone who's held off on a purchase waiting to hear what you think Steve, do tell... (and hey, what about the HAD budget amp ?)

5/28/2000 5:32 PM
Steve Snider
email

OK. The Fuchs rips. I once found a modified MarkIIc+ that had been modified to sound like a Dumble/Boogie. I had just spent all my $ on a Two Rock and scrambled to get up the $ for the MarkII. It was gone when I went back. The owner of it, who I later contacted said "it was the best amp ever made". It had the best round and smooth distortion I had heard. The Fuchs sounds like that modded MarkIIc+ to me but better. The options 1/2 power, studio setting, get the wattage way down and you can get the richest high gain,feedback laden tones at low level. A Robben Ford/Carlton tone is easily achieved by setting the overdrive input gain low and output gain high while keeping the clean channel input level low. The amp is very cool and I love it. I am putting a G12H 100 in the cab because the EV12L lacks bottom to me and since I like the mid boost on, the voicing of the G12H is a little scooped so the balance is good and the low end is fat. The 1X12 Fane 100 Alnico sounds great as well. The clean tones have lots of range with the various switches. Mine is fully loaded with options. Negative feedback, mid boost, Phat switch , Pentode/Triode, studio power etc. Awesome amp!!! Works great at low volumes and gets amazing at high volumes. The reverb is ok. The Clean is better on the new TR, could be the difference of EL34 vs 6L6. Overall a great amp!  

Steve

5/28/2000 7:03 PM
Graydon Stuckey
email

quote:
"Tone Bypass: This feature acts as a mid boost and adds some gain. Great for pushing the clean channel into a slight overdrive.  

My question for you is this: with the tone stack set to 5-5-5, how would you describe the level of boost when the tone stack is bypassed (slight to drastic). I was wondering because they may pad down the signal a bit in the Tone Bypass mode by switching in a resistor to ground (something like 220k)."

Steves,  

On my ODS Clone, if I set the tone controls to 5-5-5, the PAB is pretty drastic. The tone changes a little and it turns into a gain monster. The increase in volume is too drastic to me. I usually set the tone controls to 3:00 just so that the PAB isn't so drastic. At those tone settings, I find the PAB very usable indeed.  

quote:
"    Two-Rocks also mentions that their Clean channel gets a bit crunchy when you boost the gain. I ask because the Humble clean preamp usually stays pretty clean at even the higher gain settings (in contrast to a BF-style preamp which will break up and distort). I quote from their site:  

So do you agree with that, Steve? Not necessarily that it is the "tastiest" OD around, but are they talking about preamp distortion or power amp distortion (i.e., does it distort at low settings of the MV or only when the amp is set loud?"

I find that I can't really get the clean channel to distort at all. It gets a little darker maybe as you turn up the gain, and the PAB, but it still doesn't distort.  

Later,  
Graydon Stuckey  
http://eletro.cmhnet.org/~graydon

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>