ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Desirable Tube Bass Amps?

5/10/2000 3:27 AM
Don Symes
email
Desirable Tube Bass Amps?
There's a fairly short list of canonical guitar amps that pretty much everybody wishes they could have one each of (5F6A, Plexi, AC6TB, Do.d.s., BFDR and a few more).  

Is there an equivalent list of _Bass_ amps?  
Apart from the SVT and the Acoustic model 360, what is there?

5/10/2000 4:08 AM
Peter S
email

How about SWR amps? I dont know, that is a good question. I heard that the reissue Fender Bassmans actually sound really good for bass at moderate volumes.

5/10/2000 4:09 AM
Peter S
email

oops maybe SWR amps arwe solid state....I bet they are....sorry

5/10/2000 4:40 AM
eric
email

Ampeg V4B, Ampeg B-15

5/10/2000 12:59 PM
jason
email

Ampeg porta flex B-15...I second that one.  
jason

5/10/2000 1:06 PM
Don Symes
email

SS is ok, I guess.  

I mean, if it's a bass amp you're dying to have.  

On my list of wish-I-had-one guitar amps (waaaay down the list) are a Lab L5/L11 and a Sunn Beta Lead).

5/10/2000 1:38 PM
Peter S
email

Don,  
I had an L-5 and it was a truly great sounding amplifier, although a little flimsy in construction. I used to run it side by side with a 100 watt Marshall and the L-5 could drown the Marshall out! The only problem I ever really had with the L-5 was that it was so loud, the vibration from the speakers used to crack the solder connection between the pc board and the power transistors. I sold it after I got tired of fixing it. Of course we never should have been playing that loud but, we were a heavy metal band and we thought that we supposed to be LOUD! What can I say I was younger then.

Page 1 of 5 Next> Last Page>>