ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Help with Old Epiphone AMP

:
5/8/2000 5:33 PM
Lee
Help with Old Epiphone AMP
Hi Guys!  
I just uncovered an old Epiphone amp I got many years ago and forgot about. It is a Devon Model 35 and it has 2 ea. 6v6 tubes. It also has a socket for a rectifier tube, however, I do not know what that tube would be. anybody here have any ideas, etc? I remember it was in a little 1x12 combo box but now it is just the tray & guts. I think I can get it running without much work, but I need to know the correct tubes, etc, before I power it up. I would like to know the complete specs for this piece ... max. power output, etc.  

Thank you all in advance for any help y'all can give me.  

TX!  
Lee

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

5/8/2000 5:58 PM
Tim Swartz

I may be able to help if you provide the model #. There should be "EA"-something on one side of face plate.  

Tim

5/8/2000 6:09 PM
Lee

Tim:  
It is a Epiphone DEVON model EA-35 ... SN 116347.  

TX! Lee

5/8/2000 7:34 PM
Doc

What other tubes, besides the pair of 6V6s, are in this amp? There should be at least two other tubes, to take care of necessary preamplification and phase inversion. I'm not aware of one, but there could have been an amp using a pair of 6V6 tubes in parallel single-ended. They did have an amp like that using 6AQ5 tubes, which are miniature versions of 6V6.  

The typical tube rectifier for an amp using push pull 6V6s (and a few preamp tubes) was a 5Y3. Check the socket wiring connections on your amp against an amp schematic which does use a 5Y3 before you plug in anything. Pin numbers go clockwise looking at the bottom of the socket. Look closely, octal sockets usually have pin numbers cast into the plastic base. On a 5Y3, only four pins need to be terminated.

5/8/2000 7:47 PM
Lee

Hi Doc:  

This amp has a single 12ax7a Gibson by Ratheon preamp tube. 2 ea. 6v6 Gibson by Ratheon Power tubes and an empty rectifier socket ... presumably the 5y3 variety.  
It's insides are all what I think is called point-to-point connections ... there is no circuit board. Its chasis is a "U" shaped piece of about 16 ga. chromed steel and the tubes, TX's etc. are all mounted to this chasis. It seems simple enough for a novice like myself to twiddle with and probably have a pretty descent amp when finished.  

What I'm interested in doing is getting the schematic for this amp, & tweezing it a bit for a few tone mods, etc.  

Thank you all for any help insight into this lil' beastie.  

TX!  
Lee

5/8/2000 10:29 PM
eric

are you sure about that tube lineup i mean a single 12ax7 no phase inverter. because if it only has one tube for the pi and preamp you arent going to get a lot of tweaks out of it as theres nothing much to play with, i can think of anyone but that one fender schematic that used half a tube for the PI

5/9/2000 2:22 AM
Winnie Thomas

are you sure about that tube lineup i mean a single 12ax7 no phase inverter. because if it only has one tube for the pi and preamp you arent going to get a lot of tweaks out of it as theres nothing much to play with, i can think of anyone but that one fender schematic that used half a tube for the PI  

This may be a single ended amp with two 6V6's in parallel and not a push pull circuit. Gibson amde a number of amps this way.  

You can use a 5Y3 for sure, or a 5AR4. 5U4's require 3 amps to drive them. An anp of this size probably would not use a 5U4.  

Winnie

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>