ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

The Truth About Sovtek 12AX7LP and LPS Myth

:
4/21/2000 3:03 AM
Tim C.
The Truth About Sovtek 12AX7LP and LPS Myth
Hi All,  

A few days ago there was some discussion about the Sovtek 12AX7 LP and 12AX7LPS. The LPS version is supposed to have a spiral filament and be quieter.  

I inspected both versions and noted that they looked identical. I listened to them and both were equal in sound and hum level.  

Someone made a comment that we would never know if this was hype or truth until a couple were cracked open.  

Well... I couldn't stand it wondering if they really were different. The detective in me took over and I cracked three of them open. Two LPS versions and one LP.  

Guess what, They are identical inside. There is no difference in the filament construction. I saved them in case anyone else wanted to inspect them.  

What say ye about this?  

Tim C.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/21/2000 3:08 AM
dale

now thats real tube dedication !!!!! *S*

4/21/2000 4:16 AM
Bruce

Now crack open a brand new 12AX7EH... which I believe is the same freakin' tube too.  
Bruce

4/21/2000 4:35 AM
Steve Slick

Better you than me, buddy. I'd 'bout as soon crack open a Les Paul. Yes, I used to get (literally) sick when Pete Townsend did the stupid windmill thing.  

Now, I'll have nightmares all night about Tim with a hammer and a beautiful set of SovTek 12AX7LPS.  

It's important to know. But, Tim, couldn't you have found a non-invasive way to do the same thing?  

Sleepless in Dallas,  

Steve Slick

4/21/2000 11:21 PM
Tim C.

Get this! I also just got some Electro Harmonix EL34 EH tubes in today.  

I inspected them and it appeared that they were really EL34WXT's so I compared them. The EH's were all stamped on the plastic base with the EH logo and on the tube body they said "EL34" except for one which read EL34WXT on the bottle.  

The original hype was that these new EH EL34's were the best sounding EL34's out there. I agreed. Now i feel like the "Emperor's New Clothes" story.  

It looks as if the new entries by New Sensor are really just repackaged old models.  

I had to check out the LP'S and LPS'S because I didn't want to be telling people that they were something they were not and charging them more for them at the same time. This way now I know only to order the LP'S. It was only $27.00.  

BTW Steve, I didn't use a hammer.  
I used a pair of slip joint pliers. I placed the jaws around the upper 1/4th of the tube and......CRUSHED 'EM!  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHA (In my best Vincent Price voice)  

Pleasant dreams, Steve........ :)  

Tim C.

4/21/2000 11:34 PM
Steve Slick

Tim,  

You evil bastard...  

Steve Slick

4/22/2000 2:02 AM
Dave M.

quote:
"I had to check out the LP'S and LPS'S because I didn't want to be telling people that they were something they were not and charging them more for them at the same time. This way now I know only to order the LP'S. It was only $27.00. "

So, you're saying that the LP costs less than the LPS? Is that wholesale?  

Thanks,  
-Dave M.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>