ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Marshall JCM-800-2210

4/10/2000 12:50 AM
Dolan
email
Marshall JCM-800-2210
Any opinions on this amp and what can be done to make it "better"?IE: cleaner clean fatter bottom end......all the other happy shit.......:o)

4/13/2000 6:45 AM
dale
email

i've had 3 800's, and the reason they sound thin is because the mid control is a 25k pot, and the mids in that circuit are of the low mid variety unlike most other marshalls. so the pot drains too much of the fattness to ground. i replaced the mid pot with a 1 meg pot and turned it up all the way for a really fat sound. it makes the amp much better. without that, i wouldn't even consider them usable---way to thin. try it, i assure you that you won't be dissappointed.  

dale

4/13/2000 9:47 AM
Dolan
email

Dale,  

Thanks.I will give it a whirl.

4/13/2000 9:38 PM
Tonefactor
email

quote:
"the reason they sound thin is because the mid control is a 25k pot, "

The mid pot in a model 2210 is not 25k, it is 100k.

4/14/2000 4:07 PM
Jon Blackstone
email

I substantially reworked the preamp on my 4210. Vast improvement IMO over ridiculously thin sound amp originally had. Mine was the circuit on p.695 of the Pittman book - your 2210 may be something else.  

You want my schematic?

4/14/2000 6:34 PM
Tonefactor
email

quote:
"Vast improvement IMO over ridiculously thin sound amp originally had"

It's hard to believe, but that thin buzzy sound used to be popular in the 80's. Listen to some old Ozzy and pay close attention to Randy Rhodes sound ... Yuk!!! What horrible tone!

Page 1 of 1