ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: 6CA7 Tubes vs Svet 6L6?

:
4/6/2000 4:40 PM
Bare Re: 6CA7 Tubes vs Svet 6L6?
IF you are going to use the 6CA7 tubes as a substitute , at least make sure that you are getting  
the European manufactured Ei 6CA7.  
These , in my opinion are the best of the currently manufactured examples. Soundwise it's slightly different from the characteristicEL34 sound, with smoother treble, more open midrange and tighter deeper bass. Closer to a 6L6 actually.  

4/6/2000 6:24 PM
Graydon Stuckey

quote:
"If you are going to use the 6CA7 tubes as a substitute , at least make sure that you are getting  
the European manufactured Ei 6CA7.  
These , in my opinion are the best of the currently manufactured examples. Soundwise it's slightly different from the characteristic EL34 sound, with smoother treble, more open midrange and tighter deeper bass. Closer to a 6L6 actually."

These were in fact the tubes that were offered by my dealer. He had ordered a set of Svetlana 6L6s for me and they hadn't arrived on Tuesday, so I was beginning to consider readily available options. Fotunately, the Svets arrived in his UPS shipment yesterday, so I stuck with that plan.  

I had a mismatched set of junk tubes in my amp for the build process so that in case I shorted something out, I would destroy junk tubes and not an expensive set of new Svets. To tell the truth, at lower volumes, the new Svets don't sound that much different from the junk tubes that were previously in my amp. Sorta confirms Gil's comments in the previous post.  

Thanks for all the helpful comments. Maybe I'll try a set of the 6CA7s in the future.  

Later,  
Graydon Stuckey  
http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~graydon

4/12/2000 1:45 AM
BWilliamson

Here's my impressions from the Clumble I built in a 71' bassman. It's only running pairs--40w but I'll give my impressions. these were all running with a 12at7 in the driver.  

Golden Dragon KT-66. My personal favorite. Very little coloration. Hard to remember since they haven't been in there for awhile. Been playing with others types. But these seemed to sit in the middle of the road to the other two types.  

Groove Tube EL-34ls #4. Sounds to me like the late70's early 80's hard rock sound. Kinda Bostonish but not so processed. More of a high end chime than the 6l6. Nice tight rock sound.  

Svet 6l6GC. Thoatier than the EL-34's and not as tight. Seemed more of a bluesier tone to me.  

12AX7 vs. 12AT7  
Last week tried swapping these back and forth. I found the distortion character didn't change that much. But the clean channel when pushing the 6l6's I was using was harsher with the 12AX7. I much prefered the clean with the AT7, and when it started to OD the 6l6's wasn't as harsh--bit more musical to my untrained ears. I was going to try a 5751 till I bounced my AT7 off the concrete, decided it was time to quit at that point.  

One thing to remember--for the power tubes these weren't side by side comparisons. These were over a course of many months and changes to the circuit inbetween changes. Only the 6l6 and the el-34 were tried with no changes if I remember right. I could be high too.  

bw

<<First Page<PrevPage 3 of 3