ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

The old amp Bluze

4/4/2000 6:28 AM
rebel420
email
The old amp Bluze
Kinda a bit of an editorial here, but deal with it, cuz it's amp oriented *laugh*  

Went to a guitar show over the weekend, and saw an OLD Harmony amp (Don't recall the model number, but it had a 5" speaker just a volume knob, and 3 of the 7pin variety tubes (6au6 style etc *laughs*).. Well I owned one of these years ago, and sold it for like $25 (hey i got the thing for $5 so what the heck!!)... Well, knowing now what I didn't know then, I wanted that amp back.. been kinda pining for it actually.. ti was a very nice low-power amp that had a good little crunch... So I inquired about the price... $150 firm.. talk about enough to ruin a day... Also saw an old silvertone I got for4 $20 a few years ago going for $250.. are prices really this overinflated, or did i get killer deals, or am I just an asshole for letting them old pieces go *laugh*  

4/4/2000 4:15 PM
peter

I think that's an experience many of us  
might have had-- the prices of old things have  
gone way up in the last few years. I think  
it may be partly due to the internet--  
it used to be if you had some vintage item,  
sure it's "worth" $500, but all you can get for it  
is what someone in your town is willing to  
pay. Now a few people with way more money than  
me can scour the country buying up all the  
old stuff.  

a couple of examples: years ago a guy gave me  
a Univox Superfuzz, because he thought it  
sounded horrible. I just tossed it in a  
closet for a while, I don't think I could  
have got $10 for it. Now they sell for $150  
on ebay.  
A couple of years ago I bought a DOD FX-7  
multieffects unit for $200, now I don't think I  
could get $50 for it! Will it be worth  
more in 20 years?? I dunno.  

4/5/2000 4:52 AM
Clyde
email

Hey Rebel, *you're* not the asshole!  
On the other hand, it is free enter-  
prise. If you're not comfortable  
with the prices, don't pay 'em.  
Just my .02. Clyde.

4/5/2000 6:22 AM
bill
email

try sunday afternoon late at the show--smaller dealers sometimes are happy to unload some items near cost, in order not to lug them home and to pay show costs. bill

4/5/2000 7:03 AM
Jamie Tyson
email

look at it this way though- with some ingenuity and some junk from some old lady's basement you can make the amp over only now you can control how it sounds!!!  

JT  

4/5/2000 2:54 PM
Gus
What show? I was at the south jersey one last weekend

4/5/2000 5:23 PM
Doc
email

I just sold a Harmony amp like the one you describe (mine was an H-303A), had a blue hammertone chassis, with a small alnico Jensen in a kind of blue-gray cabinet (covered with the stuff you see on cheap suitcases & childs cardboard record players) in mint condition (I'm not exaggerating) for $60 this past Sunday. It was a 3-tube "radio amp" with 50C5, 35W4, & 12AU6 tubes that actually had the entire circuit, including heaters, powered off the secondary of an isolation transformer. It was a great sounding practice amp turned all the way up. The amp had been sitting around my house for a few years, and I had to thin out the herd. It was a bargain for anyone who could appreciate what it was. I know a guy in N.J. who is selling the same model amp, in working but rather ragged cosmetic condition, for $40.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>