ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

stupid marshall tricks

3/17/2000 8:03 PM
jp
email
stupid marshall tricks
Okay, Marshall folks, a few questions from someone who's head is usually more into champs.  

First, Marshalls use linear taper volume pots, right? I understand this is to get loud quick, and be a bit more impressive in the store. Do you have a range where it's just pretty useless to adjust the volume? Anything gained by switching to an audio taper? Anything lost?  

Second, everybody seems to be interested in taming the treble on seventies Super Leads. Is this a strat user thing only? Anyone gone so far as to making a Super Lead into a Super Bass? I'm a strat guy, yet I like my tone thick, so that path has crossed my mind.  

Damn, I just thought I'd go with the little amps, but the way you guys have been talking, I'm thinking about picking up one of those overpowered refrigerator looking things.  

thanks for replies, and damn you for passing on the disease and back problems. ;-)  
jp  

3/17/2000 10:17 PM
Trace
email

quote:
"Anything gained by switching to an audio taper? Anything lost?"

I think Audio taper is a "smoother" more "Even" travel through out the pot. Liner seems to "come one" all at once. There was a great site on different tapers but when my system crashed I lost all that cool info. I'm sure someone here will have it(?)  

quote:
"Second, everybody seems to be interested in taming the treble on seventies Super Leads. Is this a strat user thing only?"

It's all about personal preferance. Usually you can lower the bright caps on the volume pots or remove them and people are pretty happy. Of course it depends on how much top end your guitar naturally has also.  

quote:
"Anyone gone so far as to making a Super Lead into a Super Bass?"

Sure... they sound good as well. SRV loved them a lot. I think they sound better for Strats, generally speaking that is.  

quote:
"I'm a strat guy, yet I like my tone thick, so that path has crossed my mind."

It's a good path to take! (ha, ha)  

quote:
"Damn, I just thought I'd go with the little amps, but the way you guys have been talking, I'm thinking about picking up one of those overpowered refrigerator looking things."

Ha, ha...well the Champs sound great! Marshalls are a different animal. They also sound great. It all depends on what you need and what you are looking for in an amp.  

quote:
"thanks for replies, and damn you for passing on the disease and back problems. ;-)  
jp"

Disease and back pain? I assume the pain will be from carring a heavier amp? What's the disease exactly?  

Let us know!  
Trace  

3/17/2000 10:39 PM
jp
email

Trace:  

Can't exactly tell what the disease is, but the symptoms involve having your pants legs flap around when you hit an E chord. Something about having the ability to hit a power chord and start a tsunami in the far east . . . ;-)  

jp

3/18/2000 1:42 AM
Trace
email

quote:
"Can't exactly tell what the disease is, but the symptoms involve having your pants legs flap around when you hit an E chord. Something about having the ability to hit a power chord and start a tsunami in the far east . . . ;-)"

Ahhh...(ha, ha) I gotcha now!!! Enough said ;-)  

Trace

3/18/2000 7:55 AM
rebel420
email

quote:
"Disease and back pain? I assume the pain will be from carring a heavier amp? What's the disease exactly?"

For me, the disease is that my life revolves around Marshalls... I want to name my name my first born son Marshall, when I hear someone call out for the marshall on an old western, I get a shit-eating grin on my face.I will listen to a song on the radio even if I HATE the song, as long as I recognize a plexi or a 4-pronger-grindomatic, I think the creation story shoudl have ... and on the final day, he created Jim Marshall. I can redraw the schematics for a plexi in under 5 minutes, all off the top of my head, of course. Would trade my fiancee to a Band of Gypsy's for a JTM45. I want my wedding colors to be black with gold plexiglass trim (contraversly, I want my tux to be made out of grillecloth). I service my Marshall mroe than my fiancee and my car put together! *laughs*

3/22/2000 8:39 PM
Tonefactor
email

I can totally relate.

3/17/2000 10:22 PM
Rebel420
email

quote:
"First, Marshalls use linear taper volume pots, right? I understand this is to get loud quick, and be a bit more impressive in the store. Do you have a range where it's just pretty useless to adjust the volume? Anything gained by switching to an audio taper? Anything lost?"

Actually, I've only seen Log. (audio) taper pots here. and have the same smooth taper as any other good amp.  
quote:
"Second, everybody seems to be interested in taming the treble on seventies Super Leads. Is this a strat user thing only?"

A lot of LesPaul players do this as well. Depends what you are lookin for... if youa re looking for that 70's Marshall CRUNCH, then let it be, if you want a warmer blusier tone, then you can convert it to a more vintage flavor, or even a super bass. not much involved, really. I personally have mine as it is ('73), and if i want a darker sund, i roll off the guitar tone a bit, and vary my touch.  

quote:
"Damn, I just thought I'd go with the little amps, but the way you guys have been talking, I'm thinking about picking up one of those overpowered refrigerator looking things."

couple suggestoins, either a) get a100watt model and run it as 50watts or get a 50 watter and put in a 100watt OT and b) GET an attenuator... you really have 3 choices for good attenuators, THD HOTPLATE, THD HOTPLATE and THD HOTPLATE!!  
quote:
"thanks for replies, and damn you for passing on the disease and back problems. ;-)"

YOu are quite welcome *laffz*

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>