ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Plexi Palace, Toneheaven & vintage amps

:
3/16/2000 4:19 PM
Trace
Re: Plexi Palace, Toneheaven & vintage amps
quote:
"I have a ´78 2203 and a ´79 1959 and they both sound great. I prefer the late 70´s Marshalls because they sound nice and they´re not as expensive as the older ones."

They look different than the early 70's amps but they sound about the same! Mostly the prices reflect the "snob appeal" as most people would call it. You can say you have an older Marshall but they do sound pretty much the same as the later 70's amps that you have. Many people think there's some sort of magic in the "older" amps (meaning early 70's) which is why the price is a bit higher.  

quote:
"People seem to think their amps are worth fortunes just because they´re old."

This would seem to be the case! (ha, ha) Often times trannys are better (in general) and the debate over PTP verses PCB is never ending and will of course effect prices on all older amps.  

Trace  

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

3/16/2000 4:42 PM
Rebel420

quote:
"Often times trannys are better (in general) and the debate over PTP verses PCB is never ending and will of course effect prices on all older amps."

I'll probably get crucified for saying this, but a GOOD pcb design vs. a ptp design, there woudl be NO difference in sound.. The 70's marshalls are the best example... they didnt use copper traces for everything in those amps, rather followed the ptp layout pretty closely, and used the pcb as tie points. As much as I dislike Boogies, they used pcb's and most people think they sound just fine, as do the Soldanos. IT's amps like Peavey, Crate etc, that use a poorly designed circuit, and a even worse designed PCB with tubes mounted rght to the pcb and just put the compnonets ther enad use miles of copper between them is what gives PCB's a bad name

3/16/2000 5:02 PM
Trace

quote:
"I'll probably get crucified for saying this, but a GOOD pcb design vs. a ptp design, there woudl be NO difference in sound.."

Don't sweat it..if you get nailed to the cross I have a good strong hammer to pull out those rusty nails (ha, ha) ;-) Spring fever must be setting in!  

quote:
"The 70's marshalls are the best example... they didnt use copper traces for everything in those amps, rather followed the ptp layout pretty closely, and used the pcb as tie points."

Excellent point!! I agree completely with you. They sound just as good as the point to point versions.  

Trace  

3/16/2000 5:09 PM
DavidB

I had a 74 MK2, shoulda never sold it cuz it was a lil screamer plus fixed alotta pcb ones that were great sounding.they are a pain to work on compared to the older PP ones but thats about it. my 2 cents  

db

3/16/2000 5:08 PM
RMS

quote:
"The PCB's were made pretty well back then. They have since gotten REALLY cheesy! (ha, ha) The 70's 2203's are pretty good as well. Good trannys as well. The JCM800 line (introduced in 1980) was the sad time for the 50watt trannys. They were pretty yucky. There were differnt trannys for the 2203's and the 2204's. (same goes for the older models as I recall) I think this is the biggest reason why people favored the 100 watters over the 50's (in my opinion) When I replace a 50 watt tranny with a plexi tranny it's sounds like the tone from the 100 watters! It's pretty hard to find a used 2203. If you see one I would snap it up quick!"

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I already have a '79 2203 head and matching cab (love the 65 W Celestions in it), so I'm set there. I do need to de-brighten it a little, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's not really that bad...just a little harsh. I bought one of the Eganter TOL100's which is a great amp IMO. I can't put my finger on why, but I just keep going back to the 2203. Lately, I've been running the preamp at about 12:00 and using an Ibanez SD-9 Sonic Distortion to goose it for leads and it sounds great. I suspect I could get a little fuller sound from a 1959 at about the same distortion level.  

I do agree on the PCB in it - very sturdy and well built and not a problem to work on from what I see. I take it that a '70's 1987 or 2204 has plenty of balls? When I've A/B'd 50 vs. 100 W Marshalls I've always thought that the 100 W amps had a much bigger sound. So, I've prefered to use them with 2 tubes pulled, but I haven't played a pre-JCM800 50 W Marshall so I'll give one a listen.  

Ross

3/16/2000 5:17 PM
Rebel420

quote:
"When I replace a 50 watt tranny with a plexi tranny it's sounds like the tone from the 100 watters!"

I couldn't agree more! in fact, that is why I like the 100watters more, is the 100 watt iron is a bitr more transparent sounding... I never run my 100 watter with all 4 tubes fwiw ;)  
quote:
" Actually, I already have a '79 2203 head and matching cab (love the 65 W Celestions in it), so I'm set there."

I too am partial to the 65 watt celestions... I in fact had the choice of cabs when ibought my head (already hd the cab with the 65 watt celestions, and the guy 'gave' me a 4-12 cab with the vintage 30's i think they were (fawn cabinet that some dork spray painted black-- if i could have cleand the paint off ofI would have kept the cab, but put the 65 watters in). The 65 watters sound closer to a grenback tahn some of the reissues, and definitley better than the 70 watters etc. The thing I like about the 65 watters is, they dont turn to much as quick, they retain their tone at higher volumes, PLUS I wont have to be reconing them all the time if I did run at 100watts!!

3/16/2000 8:05 PM
Trace

quote:
"I do need to de-brighten it a little, but haven't gotten around to it yet."

There's several things you can do to change that. :)  

quote:
"It's not really that bad...just a little harsh. I bought one of the Eganter TOL100's which is a great amp IMO. I can't put my finger on why, but I just keep going back to the 2203."

Too many gain stages on the TOL100(?) A friend of mine has one as well. He's a tech and he's looking to sell it now. He keeps going back to the 3=12AX7 type of preamp design. When you get another gain stage in there it can be cool for gain but you loose a lot also. It's a fine line and mostly it's a "give to get" sort of situation. I personally feel you get more than enough gain from 3=12AX7's but that's me.  

quote:
"When I've A/B'd 50 vs. 100 W Marshalls I've always thought that the 100 W amps had a much bigger sound."

That's what everyone says and I think it's directly related to the output tanny personally. Take a plexi tranny and pop it in a 50 watter and it sounds a thousand times better.  

Trace  

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 6 Next> Last Page>>