ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

metal film resistors over carbon comp ?

:
2/8/2000 8:34 AM
Bill J
metal film resistors over carbon comp ?
Could some one explain or direct me to info on the sonic differences in use of metal film resistors over carbon comp.  
I think I remember reading a post suggesting that they are slightly brighter sounding? Is this the general consensus?  

2/8/2000 11:40 AM
John S.

Yep and when used in certain part of the circuit,they quiet the circuit down and remove some of the "hiss".A good example of this from my experimenting is with plate load resistors....The carbon comps are supposed to warm up the circuit some...Myself,I haven't noticed that much tonal differences with the carbon comp resistors when changing them in my 73 Marshall head...I've tryed both,but the carbon comps definetly add in more circuit noise to my ear.John S.

2/10/2000 4:09 AM
Bob

But John,  
If metal film resistors sound brighter then carbon comp must be darker, right?

2/10/2000 5:41 PM
John S.

Hello Bob....I don't think I hear much tonal difference between the resistors,but I found out that in certain parts of the amp circuit,the non-carbon comp resistors seem to allow for a quieter amp,specifically the plate resistors.John

2/8/2000 10:18 PM
Dozer
Metal films are labelled as "bright" while carbon comps are called "mellow" by those who should know better.  
IF there is a difference I've not noticed it in over 25 years of fooling with audio circuits.  
I currently and for many years now use Metal films exclusively in all my projects, however I do spend a few extra cents on my parts so perhaps quality of construction is the biggest factor. Also carbon comps are hard to find as few manufacturers bother to build then any more. I do know that there are some very good Allen Bradley carbon comp resistors available .. but at $5 to $10 each .. I'm not going to experiment.  
I use Holco resitors from Sonic Frontiers (there is a web page) which are .25% accurate and less than 10 cents each.  
Try some for yourself.  

2/9/2000 4:01 AM
M/J

Ouch....$5 to $10 each? Check out Antique Electic Supply. You can get 1/2 watt carbon comps for $.05 to $.08 http://www.tubesandmore.com/

2/9/2000 10:37 AM
BC

Mouser also sells carbon comps in the $.05-.10 range. I think they are Xicons if I remember correctly.  
BC

Page 1 of 10 Next> Last Page>>