ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: here's another repair

:
2/4/2000 4:49 PM
Lou Re: here's another repair
There once was a product called liquid rubber in a tube that worked great, Just put it on in layers.  
Hope this helps.  
Cheers  
Lou

2/7/2000 2:43 AM
Jimmy Page Re: repairing speaker cone rips?
Alternative to tissue paper is taking a very small amount of Nail Polish and cementing the rip back together. Trouble with tissue method is that it kind of works like a bicycle patch which usually ends of being a lot bigger than the hole your fixing.  

Your pal,  
Jimmy  

2/7/2000 6:18 AM
Leon Komar

Here's a thought that nobody's [resented yet: take it to a certified speaker repairman.  

A friend of mine owns a EV distributorship and is certified to repair EV, JBL and other major brands. Nothing steams him more than to see good speakers ruined by amatures or even inept "repairmen."  

I've taken slightly torn speakers in and watched him coat the tear with a special rubberized glue. He'll then coat the webbing with this glue to reinforce it and extend its life. He explains that this glue allows the webbing or cone to flex--something that Elmer's glue wouldn't do.  

So don't be cheap, seek out a good repairman. You'll pay a lot more to have it reconed or to replace it if you screw-up with home remedies.  

Regards, Leon.

2/7/2000 3:56 PM
Carl B. Good Point, There ...
You raise a good point, Leon. Better penny-wise than pound foolish.  

I've a really old Jensen PM12B (*big* alnico ring magnet on that sucker, probably from the early '60s) that has started to develop a few small axial cone rips out near the frame. That old Deluxe Reverb sure puts out speaker punishment.  

After reading your post, I think I'll take mine to a local speaker shop that I've heard good things about.  

Thanks Leon,  

Carl B.

2/8/2000 12:54 AM
Leon Komar

I mentioned this debate to my friend the speaker repairman. He said that ocassionally he has problems with vintage speakers.  

The old cones are delicate and he's seen the paper disolve right before his eyes even though he had taken all the proper precautions and used the approved methods and materials.  

This was not meant to scare you away from the Speaker Doctor but a another word of caution on home remedies.

2/12/2000 2:23 AM
Jimmy Page Re: repairing speaker cone rips?
Very astute advice indeed! On the other hand, this web site attracts do-it-yourselfers who prefer to fix things themselves. Quite a few expert quacks out there. A lot of them will immediately sell you on a reconing job which is instant tone death.  

Your pal,  
Jimmy  

2/12/2000 6:15 AM
Leon Komar

All i can say is that it's good to have an honest friend in the business. I've gone ito his shop many times swearing that I've got a speaker problem--we'll bput them on the bench and test 'em. Most times the speaker's not at fault & he's given me teps on how to check out the rest of my equipment--my most recent and most evasive probem was a bad mike chord.  

The times I have had a torn speaker, I've worked along side him--even spreading the speaker glue myself. And the best thing is he doesn't charge me for those repairs. However, it's all business when we wheel and deal buying or selling equipment to each other!  

Regards, Leon

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 2