ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

:
Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: What's the single ended deal, anyway?

:
2/11/2000 11:58 PM
jp
Re: What's the single ended deal, anyway?
Jaye:  
You're right, some high powered speakers indeed have good efficiency. Kendrick advertised their 70 watt 12" blackframes drawing a great deal of attention to the fact that they have high efficiency and a high power rating. Most of them tend to just soak up power, though. Remember that wattage ratings are just how many watts the speakers are supposed to be able to take without disintegrating. If you can get the efficiency specs from the manufacturer they are worthy of attention.  

jp

2/12/2000 2:08 AM
Sideways Jaye

jp-  
thanks for the response and yes, I understand the wattage rating for what it is. But isn't sensitivity supposed to be basically an efficiency rating, the sound pressure produced with x amount of power?

2/13/2000 8:40 PM
Jim Wheeler

"But isn't sensitivity supposed to be basically an efficiency rating, the sound pressure produced with x amount of power?"  

Forgive the butt-in, but that has always been my understanding.  

2/13/2000 11:32 PM
Sideways Jaye

No butt-in, Jim, thanks for the reply. So is jp correct when he says that low-wattage speakers tend to be more efficient. I'm not trying to start something, I have a long way to go to understand all this. Thanks to all for your patient responses, and let's hope the cutesy crowd gets bored with the inflammatory and bogus stuff.  
Jaye

2/11/2000 11:58 PM
jp

Jaye:  
You're right, some high powered speakers indeed have good efficiency. Kendrick advertised their 70 watt 12" blackframes drawing a great deal of attention to the fact that they have high efficiency and a high power rating. Most of them tend to just soak up power, though. Remember that wattage ratings are just how many watts the speakers are supposed to be able to take without disintegrating. If you can get the efficiency specs from the manufacturer they are worthy of attention.  

jp

2/12/2000 1:18 AM
Tarrie

Yes, I was planning on parallel output tubes. I want somewhere between 15 and 20 watts because I think that will give me the greatest range of speaker choices. I'll probably go with various Webers. Would like to hear some opinions on this dynamic range thing. Thanks.  

Tarrie

2/12/2000 2:35 AM
Jimmy Page
Loss of dynamic range is not necessarily bad. Some people call it compression. Single ended amps just don't respond with instantaneous bursts of power the way PP does. In other words, they tend to carry less transient information. Again not necessarily bad, depending on what your looking for. Great for blues amps.  

Forget parallel tubes. Building it with a single tube will make it a whole lot more interesting. How about an old 211 driven by a single ended 6V6? Single ended tone heaven.  

Your pal,  
Jimmy  

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>